climbing awards2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
dave 06 Feb 2003
Is it a good or a bad thing that mick fowler and paul ramsden won the piolet d'or award?
scawf vu 06 Feb 2003
In reply to dave: Why would it be a bad thing?

If you are going to have awards then Mick Fowler certainly has been a worthy nominee in the past and (together with Paul Ramsden?) a deserving winner on this occasion.
dave 07 Feb 2003
In reply to scawf vu:

Ok. Ask it another way, Should medals be awarded in climbing?
 sutty 08 Feb 2003
In reply to dave:

Several clubs used to award a medal for the biggest fall of the year at the annual dinner, some purlers were described.
Dennis M 08 Feb 2003
In reply to dave: (23:48 Fri)

Yes, why not? Everything else is being - de valued.
OP Rob Naylor on another machine 08 Feb 2003
In reply to sutty:

We have the:

- Close Shave Award (usually a bic razor with an articulated plastic model skeleton attached) for the member who camenearest to croaking

- Air Miles Award (for the biggest lob of the year)

- Gnarly Geezer Award (for general gnarliness. If it goes to a girl she's likely to be awarded a couple of big nuts to go with the award)

- Old Fart Award (goes to anyone elected to the CC in the previous year...we reckon they automatically have to be old farts if the CC'll have 'em)

- Navigation Award (for the person who got most lost either on or travelling to/from an away meet)

Various others that I can't remember, but all in the same vein.
 sutty 08 Feb 2003
In reply to Rob Naylor on another machine:

We once gave a knackered compass to the one who got the navigation award. We reckoned it would make no difference if it worked or not if they could not use it.
dave 08 Feb 2003
In reply to dave:

everyone seems to endorse medal giving here. Why, then, is everyone giving Natan such a hard time when he only wants to discuss the idea here?

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=35988
scawf vu 08 Feb 2003
In reply to dave: I'm not personaly for or against climbing/mountaineering awards. You would be better asking those that have or may be nominated etc. if it matters or not. I'm sure for the vast majority climbing is a pastime of purely personal interest, for me it can be solitude in the mountains i.e space, silence getting closer to nature or some such. It can be about surviving in harsh weather, the physical drive/pain, all largely personal experiences. I'm sure for some people it is a purely competetive sport. Whatever, its your choice.

As to the thread, hadn't previously read it, but the grief/flaming is typical of some on here. One of the reasons I rarely post.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...