NEW REVIEW: Rab Vapour-Rise Trail Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 15 Apr 2009
[Sarah stirling tests the Vapour-Rise Trail Jacket from Rab, 3 kb]I'd heard a lot of amazing things about Rab's range of Vapour-rise tops and jackets by the time my Trail Jacket arrived in the post.

So was it as good as the hype?

Sarah Stirling investigates...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1812

TobyA 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: "The Vapour-rise series has developed a cult following because there is nothing like it on the market..."

...besides all the other shelled micro-fleeces I presume? Marmot driclimes, Patagonia, Buffalo, TNF, Montane etc. I've got two and neither of them are RAB.
 Dan_S 15 Apr 2009
In reply to TobyA:

I think the difference is that the likes of Marmot and Buffalo work on a totally windproof outer rather than the wind resistance of the Vapour rise.

The Montane Scarab jacket is very similar though, using the same outer material, but a different inner.
 cat22 15 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Great piece of kit. The annoying thing about a lot of other similar jackets is the lack of hood, and the hood on this one is excellent, fits well over a helmet. I've found it to be pretty hardwearing overall, having used it most weekends for 18 months, though two seams have come apart. I didn't want to send it back to Rab and be without it for a while, so I got it fixed locally. The sizing on the women's version is weird - I agree that it's tight around the boobs, and also massive around the stomach! I found that the men's version was actually a far better fit.
 freerangecat 15 Apr 2009
In reply to cat22:

I think that the sizing is perfect, though this may be down to me rather than the jacket... Saying that though, I've a size 12 vapour rise and a size 8 Montane Super-Fly, both of which are a very good fit, so I conclude that sizing is just wierd in general!
 Silum 15 Apr 2009
Great review
 TobyA 15 Apr 2009
In reply to Dan_S:

> I think the difference is that the likes of Marmot and Buffalo work on a totally windproof outer rather than the wind resistance of the Vapour rise.

Buffalo uses pertex just like RAB, and the non-proofed nylon on the driclimes and on my TNF Bilayer works just the same as Pertex. I don't think there is really any difference in the levels of wind resistance.

In reply to TobyA:

There are many types of Pertex and the Equilibrium version is deliberately not windproof.

I agree that it is not a unique concept. My Mountain Equipment Astron jacket does a similarly great job - awesome hood and made from Polartec Powershield Lite fabric - also deliberately not 100% windproof.
 SFM 16 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Having got both a driclime and a VR(with a hood)I find the driclime far more versatile due to the fit and the movement between the inner and outer - it's less "sticky". The VR is a bit warmer and breathes a fair bit better so tend to wear it in Winter when I'm more likey to be sweaty and less likely to be taking it on and off.

I agree with what's been said about the cut of the VR...it's like nothing else I own. It fits me ok but I can imagine it excluding many folk just down to the strange sizings Rab have used for it.

Ron Walker 16 Apr 2009
In reply to TobyA:

The original pre 2007 VR smock was a great bit of gear - in fact one of the best bits of kit I've ever owned. The cult following was based on user feedback and reviews of the original pre 2007 design and materials.

The new VR's are totally different and I regret ever buying the new one thinking it would be similar.

I certainly won't be buying another one again due to the latest material and design changes and the misleading weight info on the Rab website.

The latest smock versions are absolutely rubbish in comparison.
They're heavier, warmer, too tight in the arms for rolling up to cool. It doesn't vent at climbing harness friendly underarm pockets.It now has four layers of thick slowly drying fabric in the useless badly placed water collecting kangaroo hand-warmer pocket around the lower hips. It has very thick and extremely slow drying thick elastic material around the cuffs and a short necked useless hood. As for the the sizing and fit on the men's jackets and smocks - absolutely unbelievable!!

On the plus side it looks better for hanging about city street corners hoody style and in pubs and will appeal to that type of buyer...

dek 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Ron Walker:
Hah!
Was just about to post your opinion as a daily user!

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=347583
 Denni 16 Apr 2009
In reply to Ron Walker:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> The original pre 2007 VR smock was a great bit of gear - in fact one of the best bits of kit I've ever owned. The cult following was based on user feedback and reviews of the original pre 2007 design and materials.
>

Totally agree that the original smock was a better fit and a lot better designed than the newer one. I bought a newer version and had to go up to XXL, even though I hadn't changed a bit! Needless to say, straight back to the shop.

As for the sleeve and arm fit, bloody useless. If I wanted another tight fitting layer, I would have bought another helly hansen! As mentioned, the sizing chart on the RAB site is misleading. Bit disappointed with the standard of their kit now.

On another point, I have the original Peak smock and love it, been hammered and still going strong.

In comparison, my friend has the new lightweight shiny one and the down keeps coming out (he has had this replaced by RAB but problem not solved), not at all durable and not as warm as my older one, saddo mates swapped one night to test this! In my opinion, their kit has gone downhill.

If I ever need to replace my Peak smock, will be looking elsewhere.

Ron Walker 16 Apr 2009
In reply to dek:

Yes Dek as you say I'm a daily user of the VR for the past five years guiding an playing...!!!

I usually end up using my older ones for Scottish and Alpine climbing and mountaineering as they're over a 100 grams lighter, cope better with high energy activities such as running and walking uphill and dry a lot quicker when wet...
I use the heavy new one I bought last year as a Spring, Autumn warm layer and for rambling and hillwalking as it doesn't vent or dry as well and is a lot warmer.
The kangaroo hanwarmer pocket is utter rubbish and sh*** for climbing as it sits under the harness and has at least four layers of thick slow drying material that just bunches up and collects water if it's showery. The outer material seems pretty tough for climbing though.
The jacket may be a better design but for climbing I don't think that full length zips on a base or mid layer are a good idea due to the slow drying, weight and bulk.
I've considered the stretch top but it doesn't have handwarmer pockets or a hood and is a bit on the short side so may pull out the harness when stretching up when climbing - though may consider it for the future.
 Lurking Dave 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear: Good review... my question would be for some of the people that have tried both is how does it compare to a Driclime... a personal favourite for alpine, snowboarding, riding to work etc. etc.

Cheers
LD
 Scarab 23 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Gear:

Ive got the newer one and love it, used for everything from scottish winter, welsh trad and portland sport. Not to mention buying groceries ...

Another person that lives in their trail jacket, now Im curious on two things.

1: Anyone used it next to skin?

2: The older version, is the difference really that big... I
 Alex C 23 Apr 2009
In reply to Scarab: It's very comfy next to the skin, but surprisingly not as warm as with a layer beneath. Rather than asking for subjective opinions on cocktalk, why not put on the one you actually have in your possession?

The new one indeed sounds poor. I have the old design and it's clearly very well thought out. Little details like being able to easily roll up the sleeves and cinch up the velcro around your upper arms makes a big difference. The seams are all coming apart though. I think that at the moment you could sum up Rab with "excellent design, terrible quality". What went wrong? They used to be a byword for quality. Are all such companies destined thus? How long do POD, Crux, Montane etc have?
 nikinko 23 Apr 2009
In reply to cat22:
> The sizing on the women's version is weird - I agree that it's tight around the boobs, and also massive around the stomach! I found that the men's version was actually a far better fit.

I found the opposite- the mens one was very tight on my upper arms and massive around the stomach, the womens one fitted nicely.

I don't like the hood on the jacket though, and would love to see Rab make a womens version of the smock with the full 'grown on' hood.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...