Rab VR compared to Montane Scarab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ron Walker 22 Mar 2009
I used to be a big fan of the Rab VR smocks but have recently bought the latest model and I'm far from being impressed. It looks really good but it performs sh*** compared to my old one.
For a starter it's very heavy and over a 100 grams heavier than quoted on the website.
It's also lot warmer and I now overheat in it. Especially with no underarm ventilation at the hand warmer pockets unlike the old model.
It doesn't dry off as quickly.
The kangaroo tunnel pocket is totally rubbish for climbing as you can't easily access the hand warmers under a climbing harness. The tunnel pocket also has several thick layers of fleece and what looks like a city suit lining material in it that catches all the water if raining, soaks up sweat and doesn't dry off quickly.
The arms are very long and too tight to roll up for ventilation and I'm not exactly big.
The hood and neck are too short to fit over my head without the jacket riding up.
I suppose if I had very long thin skinny arms and a short neck and small head the fit would be perfect...!
I spoke to Rab UK about this and they seemed totally unaware of the issues despite myself and several others emailing them about it.
I prefer the smock design for climbing but no one else seems to make it using the Pertex endurance fabric.
I've been looking at the Montane Scarab jacket and was wondering what people think of it?
Any other suggestions?

Cheers Ron
OP Ron Walker 22 Mar 2009
Should read Pertex Equilibrium® fabric not Pertex Endurance...!

Ron
OP Ron Walker 25 Mar 2009
In reply to Ron Walker:

Someone!!
 Guy Hurst 25 Mar 2009
In reply to Ron Walker: The Rab VR tops never fitted me very well -- if the body was right then they were always too tight under the arms. However, I'm not too impressed by the Scarab either. A bit fussy and the hood isn't very good, imo. Also the finish of Montane stuff can sometimes be a bit suspect.
I've got a Buffalo Fell jacket and find it excellent. Good fit, surprisingly tough and with a nice hood. Your only problem might be getting hold of one.
I also like the Marmot Driclime shirts, which are simple, well designed and cheaper than the Rab, Montane or Buffalo options. Only proble is they don't have hoods.
Wrongfoot 25 Mar 2009
In reply to Ron Walker:

You're not alone.

I noticed this too - they are all sized for narrow long arms and narrow necks I can't do mine up with the hood stowed away.

I've often wondered what their tailors dummy looked like when they designed these? But I suspect they used CAD with a few incorrect assumptions about the morophology of their human model...

I'm unimpressed with RAB now. They're far from what they once were.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...