Amputee Breaks Prosthetic Leg on Everest Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cy Kaicener 04 May 2006
Double amputee Mark Inglis of New Zealand breaks his fiberglass leg on Everest and uses duct tape to hold it together while a replacement leg is sent up from Base Camp. The original injury was sustained on Mt Cook.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200605/s1629958.htm
 truckmonkey 04 May 2006
In reply to Cy Kaicener: trying not to miss the truley inspirational point of this guy persuing his dreams despite setbacks like loosing the bottom half of both your legs, duck tape is really good stuff and this proves that it can not only fix anything virtally anywhere but that it holds the world together and everyone should own some. three cheers for duck tape hip hip....
 minimike 04 May 2006
In reply to truckmonkey:

quick - someone write to the 1001 uses of gaffertape site - we've found another one!
 Glyn Jones 04 May 2006
In reply to Cy Kaicener: Great minds

Fingers crossed for him

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=179769
Iain McTaggart 04 May 2006
In reply to Cy Kaicener:

That's quite impressive but I can top that. Friend of mine had some lucky pants. He's pulled in them a few times and wore them for his second only trad lead which was Cemetary Gates. Following this they were worn every day for a week long climbing holiday in North Wales and for a couple of years were worn whenever he was doing a dangerous trad lead or pushing his sport grade. Eventually it became necessary to repair them with duct tape. They continued to be a favoured climbing pant but suspect were less successful for pulling. His girlfriend (who he wasn't with during the pants pulling episodes) eventually made him through them away when they were more duct tape than pants. I think he was very disappointed.
 33% Longer 05 May 2006
In reply to Cy Kaicener: aaah, duct tape - it's like the force don'tcherknow! it has a dark side, a light side and it holds the universe together!

all credit to him. i have the upmost respect for people that do not allow setbacks to get in the way of dreams and aspirations.
Iain Ridgway 05 May 2006
In reply to Cy Kaicener: I've met the guy.

I was running a race in NZ and he was at the finish line, so we were chatting away, and he said "I'm jealous, I used to love doing this before the injury". I thought 'what injury, bet the old bugger just roled his ankle', then looked down to see the two prosthetic legs sticking out!

Fair do's then.

Inspirational guy, cycled in the para olympics too I think.

He gave a speach at the prize giving, well a rant, about kiwi kids and the state of the nation. All very true, and could be true in most developed nations. That kids are too interested in skateboards, TV's, then geting out having an adventure. In so many of these big events the average age would be late 30's / 40's, there's just not enough young people coming through in the sports, especially in NZ. Nation of fat kids.

I was at a multipsort event this morning, the missus is running the 18k hill running leg for one of the teams, it was the same there, most in there 40's.

(I didn't race as I have a football game in 3 hrs time).

Hope he gets Everest he was talking about this back in November, he's very up for it, a long time ambition of his.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...