Ondra on Bon Voyage

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Michael Hood 10 Apr 2024

Seems like if I want to add a comment, I have to start a thread - something missing, in the meantime...

What a great little film, really enjoyed that, even learning that Ondra swears in his native tongue when he's really annoyed with himself 😁

But I felt very sad that the pile on about the grade of Walk of Life all those years ago has had such a long lasting effect on James. Of course it's impossible to say whether it's actually caused benefits as well as harm but it's a bit of an eye-opener that it still seems to be part of him.

Kryank 10 Apr 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yeah a great film, I watched it yesterday. Looks like an amazing route, Adam’s coolness at taking those falls was impressive 😂.

Blackmud 10 Apr 2024

Yeah great film, and i thought the same about JP, he looks and sounds pretty haunted by the walk of life episode. His relief at Ondra confirming the difficulty made me a bit sad really, seems like he is looking for some kind of redemption via recognition, as he still (it seems to me) really wants to be the guy who did the hardest route in the world, or whatever. 

Anyway, amazing stuff for us punters to enjoy over our cereal, and Ondra as always absolutely captivating to watch. 

timparkin 10 Apr 2024
In reply to Blackmud:

> His relief at Ondra confirming the difficulty made me a bit sad really, seems like he is looking for some kind of redemption via recognition, as he still (it seems to me) really wants to be the guy who did the hardest route in the world, or whatever. 

I didn't see it as a desire to climb the hardest route in the wall, more a fear of being severely downgraded by one of his peers (understandably)

raussmf 10 Apr 2024
In reply to Kryank:

Onto a single blue C4 as well. It looked a very good placement but as far as I could tell if that popped it would be game over.

Blackmud 10 Apr 2024
In reply to timparkin:

I admit that I read between the lines, but I just don't think that it is a coincidence that he has given the highest grade not once but twice, and so his fear of downgrading is also connected to that position at 'the top'. I also remember one video where he speaks about his childhood and always wanting to be recognised as being or seeking to be the best at something, but that is hardly surprising for someone at the top of a sport. Anyway, elite athletes and sports people are always driven in ways that most of us probably can't understand, so that's enough arm chair psychology from me.

Ramon Marin 10 Apr 2024
In reply to timparkin:

I think that is, you've nailed there, to be considered an Ondra "peer" I think it's the ultimate redemption, whether it gets downgraded or not, every hard trad climber has gone a queue up to repeat James route, which I think it's amazing

olddirtydoggy 10 Apr 2024

That near miss section where that huge platform sat below was a sweaty hand moment. Great vid.

Post edited at 15:50
 Michael Gordon 10 Apr 2024
In reply to Blackmud:

Of course, no-one knows what's going on in another's head, but my impression is that the earlier desire to 'prove himself', 'gain recognition', 'be the best' etc has switched to more of a personal desire to see what he can do. The ego is still there of course (as with any top performer), but seems to come from a healthier place. 

Post edited at 16:48
 Michael Gordon 10 Apr 2024
In reply to raussmf:

> Onto a single blue C4 as well. It looked a very good placement but as far as I could tell if that popped it would be game over.

When he was showing the placement, it did look like you could get two cams in there if you wanted. Though obviously that would use more energy.

OP Michael Hood 10 Apr 2024
In reply to raussmf:

> Onto a single blue C4 as well. It looked a very good placement but as far as I could tell if that popped it would be game over.

As a bit of a naughty aside, I wonder what the E grade would be if that placement blew; long way back to the previous bit of gear.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...