SURVEY: Your Climbing Counts

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Team BMC 15 Jan 2024

Share your voice in shaping the future of climbing

The BMC and key partners have together launched a new initiative to reshape the climbing ecosystem. Your Climbing Counts is a project that aims to understand your motivations for climbing, how your climbing has developed over time and the people who have supported you – from your first moves to the climber you want to become.

The organisations behind this project are the BMC, OIA, NICAS, ABC, Mountain Training, Mountaineering Scotland and Sport England.

Click here to complete the Your Climbing Counts survey

You must be 18 years or older and live in the UK to complete this survey. The questionnaire will take approximately 15 minutes to complete.

Whether you’re novice or experienced, you climb for recreation or a competition athlete, indoors or outdoors (rock, boulder, snow, or ice), once a year or every day, we'd love to hear from you.

Why Participate?

• Ensure your experiences and needs are heard and represented
  • Be in with the chance of winning some great prize to support your next climbing trip
  • Contribute to creating a cohesive and diverse climbing ecosystem
  • Influence the future of the climbing workforce

Complete the survey for your chance to win:

By completing to survey, you can opt to enter our prize draw. Complete the survey now for your chance to win one of these incredible prizes:

• 1 x £500 voucher for Joe Brown's or the Climber's Shop
  • 1 x £100 voucher for Cotswold Outdoor
  • 1x £100 voucher for the BMC Shop
  • A pair of Ocun shoes donated by First Ascent
  • A year's FREE BMC membership
  • 3 x pro deal Black Diamond Discount codes
  • A Petzl Climbing Bundle: 1 x GriGri, 1 x SM'D, 1 x 50m Mambo
  • A DMM Climbing Bundle: 1 x Flight 45L Backpack, 1 x Pitcher Rope Bag, 1 x Edge Boulder Chalk Bag

Terms and conditions apply

We thank First Ascent, Joe Brown, DMM, the Climber's Shop, Black Diamond, Petzl, the Outdoor Industries Association and Cotswold Outdoor for their support.

Led by Martin Chester Consulting in collaboration with Dr. Adele Doran from Sheffield Hallam University, Your Climbing Counts will gather diverse perspectives across the climbing community. Through this research the sector will have a better understanding of the motivations, journeys, and support systems that define your climbing experience.

Two more surveys will follow in 2024 and the BMC are calling for participants under the age of 18 to complete the Your Youth Counts survey and for members of the climbing workforce (activators, guides, instructors and coaches) to complete the Your Coaching Counts survey.

Click here to complete the Your Climbing Counts survey

Marek 15 Jan 2024
In reply to Team BMC:

"Click here". Click where?

Doghouse 15 Jan 2024
In reply to Marek:

Here

FactorXXX 15 Jan 2024
In reply to Marek:

> "Click here". Click where?

There on the stair.

Myfyr Tomos 16 Jan 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

Only if you use a mouse.

OP Team BMC 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Marek:

Sorry folks, hyperlinks seem to disappear when you go back to edit the post. 

Added back now and here too: https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_39sPKz51iaMiDDo

Howard J 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Team BMC:

I have completed the survey, but I found some of it quite difficult to read as it's quite faint. It uses a very low-weight font in grey rather than black.  Not very accessible for older eyes.

pebbles 19 Jan 2024
In reply to Team BMC:

Done it but think some of  the questions dont really reflect what determines where when and how people climb. 

For example....

How often do you.....  doesnt reflect the reality that people might well do different activities during  different seasons (ask any northern climbing wall how busy they are in summer compared to winter!). Or even just according to the weather!

biggianthead 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Team BMC:

I completed this. Pretty naff survey. 

Of little relevance to climbers who put a rope on their back and head for the hills. Doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the Alpine Club!

Marek 21 Jan 2024
In reply to biggianthead:

> Of little relevance to climbers who put a rope on their back and head for the hills...

It seems a sad fact of 'data rich' life that surveys generally say more about the  author of the survey than about the responders.

Having said that, one of the hard tricks of creating a good survey is to hide what it is that you're trying to elicit from the responders, so they don't massage their responses to influence the results artificially. I don't think that's the case here though.

Post edited at 12:22
 ag17 21 Jan 2024
In reply to biggianthead:

Indeed... And the bit about "kids" climbing seemed to assume that only ever happens at an indoor wall with other children. 

biggianthead 21 Jan 2024
In reply to ag17:

Agreed. My children are mid 30's. I answered the question but I'm not convinced the people writing the questionnaire will correctly interpret my response.

biggianthead 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Marek:

Agreed. This questionnaire is driven by a preconception of  social problems that restrict access to climbing. In court it is called "leading the witness " 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...