Ascender / Descender setup for Photography

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 planetmarshall 06 Jul 2014
Was wondering what setup people use for climbing. Petzl have a few examples on their website for self-belay. Also I've seen this setup used in the field - I like the idea of being able to switch easily between ascending and descending the rope.

http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/Jug.htm

Cheers,
Andrew.
 jezb1 06 Jul 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

I use the method in the link with or without foot loop depending on steepness, it works well.
 FactorXXX 06 Jul 2014

The technique in the link would be more than adequate.
I'd also consider having an extra rope fitted with a shunt on a cows tail. This not only gives you redundancy, but gives you more options for achieving optimum positioning.
Additionally, if you're likely to be there for a while, try using a bosons chair.
 chris fox 09 Jul 2014

Phil's and old friend from my aussie days and i use his method. You can replace the the pulley with just a screwgate.

Also if you have an old skateboard then get a long sling and another jumar and use this as a bosuns chair, plus if you have a decent size bag like the lowepro stealth reporter for multiple lenses then clip that to the jumar and makes changing lenses easier.
 steve taylor 09 Jul 2014

I've used a gri-gri and jumar combination for years now and it works very well. From this weekend, I'll be adding the pulley too.
 Fraser 09 Jul 2014
This interests me as I was wondering the other day how best to ascend a fixed rope. With the set-up shown, how do you descend? (sorry, newb question, I've never used a jumar before!) Is it just by simply lowering from the Gri-gri?

Edit: sorry, should have added to that last part: doesn't the jumar prevent this, or do you somehow 'unlock' it and just pull it down as you descend?
Post edited at 12:35
 HeMa 09 Jul 2014
In reply to Fraser:

> This interests me as I was wondering the other day how best to ascend a fixed rope. With the set-up shown, how do you descend? (sorry, newb question, I've never used a jumar before!) Is it just by simply lowering from the Gri-gri?

Yes, after see below...

> Edit: sorry, should have added to that last part: doesn't the jumar prevent this, or do you somehow 'unlock' it and just pull it down as you descend?

Indeed, most modern jumars can be fixed to an unlocked position...
 Fraser 09 Jul 2014
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...