Where has all the red wine gone...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have noticed my local supermarkets have switched to stocking twice as much white wine as red. And about as much rose and fizz as red.

Red wine used to dominate. What has happened in the last year or so? Did we all switch to white wine drinking during lockdown...?

In reply to captain paranoia:

Thank the Gammons, it's another Brexit benefit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/17/complex-post-brexit-tax-ru...

"British consumers have been told that the price of some of their favourite red wines could increase by more than 40p next year after the government ignored pleas from the wine industry to abandon complex post-Brexit tax changes." 

Guess the supermarkets are judging that it won't sell as well given the increase on the already ludicrous pricing.

Bottom Clinger 23 Mar 2024

Red : White is about 50 50 in Tescos here. But lockdown could have had an influence with lots of people enjoying an early afternoon drink during the nice weather (WFH or furloughed), and white wine/sparkley lends itself to this. 

What I noticed yesterday was a complete aisle of lager (the same size as the white wine rose aisle), mainly in cases. 

ETA: just been googling, in the U.K. we consume more white than red but only by about 1.5 %, globally it’s way more red but a significant increasing trend towards white. 

Post edited at 08:59
 65 23 Mar 2024

Majestic Wine Warehouse or The Wine Society are your friends. 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 23 Mar 2024
In reply to 65:

Tanners.   (Shrewsbury, Bridgnorth, Hereford) but do deliveries.  The claret is usually pretty darn good,

Offwidth 23 Mar 2024

Ti's the season for Font and the supermarkets don't need to stock as much French red as climbers will be bringing it back at the same quality at well under half the price (as at say Majestic that has an excellent range) .

In reply to Offwidth:

I'm afraid I don't drive, so I can't fill my Octavia estate with french booze.

This thread was more about the phenomenon of the move to white than a 'where should I buy wine' query.

It's not a seasonal phenomenon, either, but I was reminded of it by the mung bean thread.

Seriously struggled to buy box red wine for my traditional annual vat of mulled wine last Christmas. Morrisons didn't even have it. Country has gone to the dogs. 

On the other hand, last night I did see mung beans.

Offwidth 23 Mar 2024

It's not something we've noticed in the general supermarkets we visit in Nottingham or W. Yorkshire, nor in Majestic...which has a great selection but with brexit benefits of extra cost maybe keeping our consumption lower and health better.

Tony Buckley 23 Mar 2024

I've been struggling to find anything other than a rudimentary selection of bottled beers in the supermarket for a few years now, yet there's yards of shelving devoted to cider.

Then I remember that I live in Somerset and all becomes clear.

Back on wine, I second the recommendation of the Wine Society.  Some top stuff there.

T.

CantClimbTom 23 Mar 2024

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of wines, are you aware of https://www.newhallwines.com/ this award winning white and rose producer.. and the twist... they're in Essex! Yes, seriously!

Andy Hardy 23 Mar 2024

Never mind wine, where is the Soreen? For the last 2 weeks Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove has just had those stupid lunchbox maltloaf. Bleughhhh

Offwidth 24 Mar 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

They do red as well. I've heard they are lovely but moderately expensive given no import duties.

Pedro50 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

There is no import duty on EU wine. English wine pays the same excise duty as imported wine £2.67, hence the high starting threshold for any bottle regardless of quality. 

Jenny C 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

What is the duty free allowance?

Gone are the days when it was down to how much space (or weight capacity) your vehicle has.

Pedro50 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

24 bottles of wine and one of spirits 

Offwidth 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

Actually 24 bottles of wine and 2 litres of spirits.

I was being sloppy about duty but there is some if you look in detail and also I was thinking about impact of post brexit non traffic barriers on cost. Wine importers are hardly happy.

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/importing-wine-post-brexit

Post edited at 11:42
 Pedro50 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

I used to work for a wine merchant who imported wine. His wife voted for Brexit! We were all gobsmacked.

Jenny C 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Long gone are the days where we could bring back a 2 year personal supply then.

annieman 24 Mar 2024

Sorry, I've been on a bit of binge. 😂

Lankyman 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Never mind wine, where is the Soreen? For the last 2 weeks Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove has just had those stupid lunchbox maltloaf. Bleughhhh

Aldi malt loaf is acceptable if you don't mind slumming it with the lower orders

Gone to for'ners every one.

Andy Hardy 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

It isn't malty or sticky enough

Where has all the red wine gone...?

I’ve been trying my best to drink it all. Another thumbs up for the Wine Society and Majestic.

Lankyman 24 Mar 2024
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> It isn't malty or sticky enough

I'm too common to care

montyjohn 25 Mar 2024
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

The ability for people to moan about Brexit is impressive.

Also, your post is very disingenuous. It makes it sound like a Brexit complexity that's resulting in prices rising. That's not the case at all. It's the UK government deciding to tax alcohol based on alcohol content. Hardly a silly way of doing it.

They are also raising a bit more money from alcohol also. Again, this is our chose to do so. I would rather see tax being raised form unnecessary luxuries like alcohol than most other means.

montyjohn 25 Mar 2024

> Where has all the red wine gone...?

I think it's down to cheap white wine tasting better than cheap red wine.

Red red wine is awful. For a long time I thought I didn't like red wine because of this.

Decent stuff however, red wins. Discovered later in life.

So the influx of crappy wine I think has resulted i the demise of red wine.

john arran 25 Mar 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> Red red wine is awful.

Not a UB40 fan, then?

Steve Clegg 25 Mar 2024
In reply to Christheclimber:

> I’ve been trying my best to drink it all.

Single-handedly?

montyjohn 25 Mar 2024
In reply to john arran:

> Not a UB40 fan, then?

Doh.

*cheap red wine

In reply to montyjohn:

> I think it's down to cheap white wine tasting better than cheap red wine

I don't think that has suddenly changed, so doesn't account for my observation about the change in the relative stock levels.

Not sure I agree with your point, either, but then I don't suppose my tastes are as refined as yours.

timjones 25 Mar 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

We c

> I used to work for a wine merchant who imported wine. His wife voted for Brexit! We were all gobsmacked.

That is horrendous, we cannot allow women to hold opinions or think for themselves

Offwidth 25 Mar 2024

He's just being a foolish snob. Bodega red cask stuff is often pleasant in Spain and probably still around 2 euros a litre. Loads of less fashionable southern French areas have  good AC wines below 5 euros a bottle (my fave being Ventoux).

65 25 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

> Bodega red cask stuff is often pleasant in Spain and probably still around 2 euros a litre. Loads of less fashionable southern French areas have  good AC wines below 5 euros a bottle (my fave being Ventoux).

Yup. I've long held that you can rarely go wrong with a cheap claret.

Prior to 2020 I came back two years running from the Pyrenees with c.100 bottles in my van. The vast bulk were c.€5 a bottle, mostly Bordeaux/Gironde, Madiran, St Mont & Cahors. Generally speaking, I'd need to spend 3-4 times that in Majestic or Waitrose to get something comparable. Now that I've massively reduced my intake I can justify spending more with the Wine Soc and only being able to bring back a measly 24 bottles per head as a non-EU Citizen of Nowhere stings a bit less than it might have.

birdie num num 25 Mar 2024

Just buy a good Amarone. It's reassuringly expensive and very gently potent.

Offwidth 25 Mar 2024
In reply to birdie num num:

My goodness, what an unexpected first!,  I'd almost agree with you!?! However, in my experience Dingac is typically better, although still pricy where its produced in Croatia (even more so,  and rare in the UK) . It's what the greedy tossers on the superyachts sometimes drink on the med when they are slumming it.

Or as a punchy alternative I like this:

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/3-finger-jack-zinfandel-18973

Special occasions wines.

birdie num num 26 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

I'm quite a discerning pisshead you know

lukevf 26 Mar 2024

I guess the shops are stocking what they think they'll sell. From a winemaking mate I understand white's in fashion at the moment and red is out (in particular Bordeaux). The rule of thumb they use is to plant the vines that aren't in fashion so they are ready when the cycle comes back around.

Edit to add: point being, maybe it's just the white part of the fashion cycle rather than any particular world events

Post edited at 16:04
 Toerag 26 Mar 2024

I think it's for 3 reasons:-

1) women drink more wine than men, and they've been drinking Prosecco for long enough to have got used to drinking white.

2) Supermarket Reds tends to be from the New World and more alcoholic than whites from Europe. They attract higher tax/duty, thus are more expensive, and in a cost of living crisis won't sell as well as white.

3) Cost of living crisis means less 'regular' drinking whilst retaining levels of 'party' drinking. White is more of a party wine than red (see (1)), which is more of a regular wine. Thus lower demand for red.

In reply to lukevf & Toerag:

> Edit to add: point being, maybe it's just the white part of the fashion cycle rather than any particular world events

That's what I suspect: 'fashion'/'consumer preferences'

Post edited at 18:27
 mark burley 26 Mar 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

Do you mean like VAT on private school fees?

montyjohn 26 Mar 2024
In reply to mark burley:

I wouldn't describe any education as an unnecessary luxury.

mark burley 26 Mar 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

No, just choosing a luxury education. 
Kind of like (Value Added)-(TAX) 

Bottom Clinger 27 Mar 2024
In reply to Toerag:

> 2) Supermarket Reds tends to be from the New World and more alcoholic than whites from Europe. They attract higher tax/duty, thus are more expensive, and in a cost of living crisis won't sell as well as white.

Are you sure? I thought it was purely based on alcohol content, and all red and white will fall within the same band (I’m discounting white wine that’s under 8.5% - it should be illegal to produce this).  

> That's what I suspect: 'fashion'/'consumer preferences'

When I looked at the stats, it doesn’t look like this is a cycle - it’s a continuous trend to drinking more white Vs red. 

Toerag 27 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

higher as in more, not a higher rate.

In reply to Toerag:

From .gov

‘Wine between 11.5% and 14.5% ABV will be treated as if it is 12.5% ABV for the purposes of calculating the charge to Alcohol Duty from 1 August 2023 until 1 February 2025.’

Only wine 11% or under gets less duty, 30 pence per bottle.  Red wine is more expensive primarily due to  more production (eg storing and ageing) costs. 

fred99 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Only wine 11% or under gets less duty, 30 pence per bottle.  

Who drinks wine at 11% or under ??

Wouldn't be allowed in my cellar.

Bottom Clinger 28 Mar 2024
In reply to fred99:

> Who drinks wine at 11% or under ??

In Wigan, people on The Wagon.

> Wouldn't be allowed in my cellar.

Same. 

tehmarks 28 Mar 2024
In reply to fred99:

> Who drinks wine at 11% or under ??

Those crafty teenage children, at it again...

In reply to Steve Clegg:

> Single-handedly?

Unfortunately I can’t drink any alcohol at the moment Steve…….

Graham Booth 29 Mar 2024
In reply to lukevf:

Considering some of the vines are hundreds of years old stock and not just planted for a season, I doubt that…

fred99 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Graham Booth:

> Considering some of the vines are hundreds of years old stock and not just planted for a season, I doubt that…

French, and indeed a large number of other European vines aren't actually all that old. Look up the "Great French Wine Blight".

Pedro50 30 Mar 2024
In reply to fred99:

> French, and indeed a large number of other European vines aren't actually all that old. Look up the "Great French Wine Blight".

An interesting book by George Ordish, somewhat over academic, it details in great detail the catastrophic spread of phyloxera throughout Europe from about 1860. What it doesn't make clear to me is how long and when production caught up with pre- phyloxera levels. Vines grafted onto resistant american stock typically produce economically for between five and thirty years, a shorter period than previously ungrafted vines. It is still the case that older vines "vielle vignes" tend to produce smaller quantities of more flavoursome wine. Some vines remain ungrafted, a few walled vineyards in Burgundy and vines grown on sand dunes "vin de sables"

ianstevens 01 Apr 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> The ability for people to moan about Brexit is impressive.

Maybe because it’s caused absolute chaos for so many people? Arguably this isn’t a major one (no import tax doesn’t mean no impact, there’s still a pile of paperwork to do), but nonetheless the point stands.

> Also, your post is very disingenuous. It makes it sound like a Brexit complexity that's resulting in prices rising. That's not the case at all. It's the UK government deciding to tax alcohol based on alcohol content. Hardly a silly way of doing it.

> They are also raising a bit more money from alcohol also. Again, this is our chose to do so. I would rather see tax being raised form unnecessary luxuries like alcohol than most other means.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...