"Award Winning" - minor rant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 04 Apr 2024

If you're going to put "award winning" on your signage, PLEASE STATE THE S@@DDING AWARD and year you received it!

Otherwise, it's just meaningless fluff.

Just passed a sign advertising "award winning coffee", but no hint of what the award is - could be "worst tasting coffee 1995" for all we know.

</rant>

dread-i 04 Apr 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

See also: "Home made" food.

Was it actually made in your house? Or did you mean "Home Cooked", where you microwaved a ready meal and put it on a plate. Or perhaps 'Hand Made', because putting it on a plate was done by hand. Perhaps you could add "Traditional'. Because you were microwaving meals last year and the year before.

Brass Nipples 04 Apr 2024

Beat kept village 1973. At least you know where they have stood since.

montyjohn 04 Apr 2024

They need to be careful.

I think it was Vibram that were sued for making claims of benefits of wearing barefoot shoes that they couldn't prove.

Maggot 04 Apr 2024

Anything 'Artisan' 🤬🤬🤬

peppermill 04 Apr 2024

Years ago in a previous career I started working for an employer that heavily advertised itself as "Award Winning".

Turned out that it was an interior design award for the premises and absolutely nothing to with the service they provided....

minimike 04 Apr 2024
In reply to peppermill:

it’s like ‘quality’.. See Darwin Awards. I rest my case. 

peppermill 04 Apr 2024
In reply to minimike:

> it’s like ‘quality’.. See Darwin Awards. I rest my case. 

Now I think about it the awards ceremony it was given was completely within the profession (which was nothing to do with interior design) and all of the awards allowed businesses and individuals to nominate themselves. Ha

Billhook 04 Apr 2024

Nearly everything is as you say, "Award Winning".

I live near Whitby.  It seems to me every single fish n chip shop in the town has won an award for their fish n chips.

I guess there are hundreds of awards, out there given by newspapers, industry magaazines, regional radio shows  "Press XXX to vote for your favourite fish n chip shop".  travel agents, and goodness knows who else all offering different awards every day and every week.

Tony the Blade 04 Apr 2024

See also 'CAMRA pub of the year'... 1973

mondite 04 Apr 2024
In reply to peppermill:

> Now I think about it the awards ceremony it was given was completely within the profession (which was nothing to do with interior design) and all of the awards allowed businesses and individuals to nominate themselves.

From what I have read quite a few of those "awards" you dont just nominate yourself but have to pay a hefty entrance/admin/whatever fee. Hence why they need to get very vague since "interior design premises for a company called mondite" is a rather limited competition.

Tony the blade does cover why even when it is a more reasonable award companies may choose to leave it off. When the local pub/coffee shop announces it won an award five years ago I am tempted to go and google this/last years winner to see if it is close enough instead.

Ian Parsons 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Billhook:

>  and goodness knows who else all offering different awards every day and every week.

I expect that somewhere there's an award that once won an 'Award of the Week' award.

Mike-W-99 05 Apr 2024

How about "World famous" being used on your flagship product when no-one has heard of you and you've just opened. 

OP LastBoyScout 05 Apr 2024
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Another classic and one that's self-defeating - if you're truly "world famous", you shouldn't need to state it!

profitofdoom 05 Apr 2024

> Another classic and one that's self-defeating - if you're truly "world famous", you shouldn't need to state it!

This thread will be Award Winning soon

And world famous 

mbh 05 Apr 2024

My favourite award of my own is Longest Stick of Rhubarb (2017, since you ask), at the annual allotment competition. I don't think many other plots entered, and the best bit is that I didn't even plant it, having inherited the plot only that spring.

hang_about 05 Apr 2024

We were looking at some job applications and a candidate had 'Genius of the Western World' listed as an award. Apparently you can buy these things for several hundred $. Didn't get interviewed.

Billhook 05 Apr 2024
In reply to mbh:

> My favourite award of my own is Longest Stick of Rhubarb (2017, since you ask), at the annual allotment competition. I don't think many other plots entered, and the best bit is that I didn't even plant it, having inherited the plot only that spring.

Don't laugh!!!  We have  https://egtongooseberryshow.org.uk/  not far from us.

Eam1 05 Apr 2024

let's not forget the 'award worthy' work of Alan Partridge

SouthernSteve 05 Apr 2024

Seeking awards is a bit of a feature of our society - what award can we enter or apply for to big ourselves up? It is not just a company thing, but for individuals too. It interdigitates closely with social media and everything being reviewed (with varying degrees of integrity). 

timjones 05 Apr 2024

Are you really the last boy scout or this that both meaningless fluff and demonstrably untrue

RX-78 05 Apr 2024
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Interdigitates, a new word for me.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 05 Apr 2024
In reply to Maggot:

> Anything 'Artisan' 🤬🤬🤬

And double the price.

OP LastBoyScout 05 Apr 2024
In reply to timjones:

> Are you really the last boy scout or this that both meaningless fluff and demonstrably untrue

Lol - it's just a nickname a friend started using for me as we knew a couple of others with the same first name at the time.

Iamgregp 05 Apr 2024

Next you'll be telling me that "Best Kebab" down the high street isn't actually the world's best?

Blue Straggler 05 Apr 2024

All sense of meaning has gone down the pan 

McHeath 05 Apr 2024

In 1969 I came 2nd in the Vicarage Garden Party Men´s Cake Baking Contest. I was 10, and there was only one other entrant.

Amongst the current bs is the labelling of products for sale as "New" or "New size" when they're actually exactly the same products in smaller containers, usually at a higher price.

Phil Lyon 05 Apr 2024
In reply to John Stainforth:

whenever I see "pub of the year" from a few years back, all I can think is that they've gone downhill.

Our local chippy had multiple awards, regional and national, up until 2017. I once asked why they've not won any since and it's because they were invited onto the judging panel. They really should brag about that.

sandrow 05 Apr 2024
In reply to Billhook:

> Nearly everything is as you say, "Award Winning".

> I live near Whitby.  It seems to me every single fish n chip shop in the town has won an award for their fish n chips.

How many award winning pie shops are there in Skipton? Four at least...

pneame 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> And double the price.

and curated. Double again 

Mike-W-99 06 Apr 2024

A new one suggested in my fb feed. Apparently the spoons mixed grill is “iconic”

Bingers 06 Apr 2024

I suppose being knighted by any recent Prime Minister would be a similar thing.

"New and improved" Surely if a product has been 'improved' there has to have been a previous version that has been improved upon and therefore it cannot be 'new'. 

Bottom Clinger 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Genuinely thought it said ‘LOG OF THE YEAR.’  

Post edited at 20:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...