NEW ROUTE CARD: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Let's call a spade a spade: no one is going to claim that these two Munros are the most exciting. Whoever said there are no dull hills was stretching things a bit. But get past the boggy lower slopes and these big grassy lumps have a certain something. It's the attraction of wide spaces, enlivened with open views to the more distinctive skylines of neighbouring ranges. This unassuming and soggy hinterland offers a comparatively strenuous leg-stretch, with less in the way of decent paths than you might expect from 3000-foot peaks in the popular southern highlands.

9.32 miles, 15 km, 1,162m ascent, 6:30 – 7:30 hours. Killin

Read more

J72 08 Aug 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I’ve seen the dull hills quote attributed to Hamish Brown, though never sourced so that may be apocryphal.

thanks for this Dan - personally I think these two hills are needing a bit of promotion, they often seem to be perceived as a boggy miserable day out to save for a November dreich day.  I think the opposite is true after a dry spell on a quiet mild weekday (when you’ll likely have them to yourself) - and there are few popular and easy to reach from the central belt munros that give such a feeling of space (or as you have pointed out, relative pathlessness).

Mark Bull 08 Aug 2023

I enjoy this pair, though a dry spell or hard frost does indeed improve the experience! There is a drier option from the Glen Lochay side, apart from fording the river at Lubchurran, but that's normally pretty shallow. I also like doing Sgiath Chuil and its eastern tops from Auchlyne (top trivia: with 106m of re-ascent, the 883m top is the most prominent unnamed summit in the UK). 

kinley2 10 Aug 2023

Don't think I'd visit these from the south again, boggy and busier.

Approaches from the North are quieter and better terrain. The Corbett to the west can also be included. 

https://kinleyhazel.wordpress.com/2019/01/28/a-2-paddle-route-for-beinn-nan...

fimm 10 Aug 2023

I enjoyed a day out on these in decent weather. As you can add the bonus Corbett that Kinley2 mentions from this side too (we did).

Post edited at 12:49
 Fat Bumbly2 10 Aug 2023
In reply to kinley2:

First visit, went up the north side, descended to the south - days before the paths.  The south side was rather rough.

There are no dull hills.

Dave Hewitt 10 Aug 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

>I also like doing Sgiath Chuil and its eastern tops from Auchlyne

Indeed - Sgiath Chuil is a classic example of a Munro that's arguably better if not done with its neighbour. I've gone from Auchlyne a few times, summer and winter, most recently on a lovely day in late May this year when I didn't see a soul.

> top trivia: with 106m of re-ascent, the 883m top is the most prominent unnamed summit in the UK). 

Very good. I once landed on that by mistake from the N in a fantastic winter inversion, thinking it was the main summit. Was too busy looking around when I popped out above the cloud at 850m-ish that I wasn't taking much notice as to where I was going.

Norman Hadley 11 Aug 2023

Looking back, most of my memorable Munros have been allegedly "dull" ones like these because I saved them for winter nights.

These two beauties were on a university mountaineering club trip to Glen Coe when I figured out I could get the club van to chuck me out, to everyone's bemusement, at Auchlyne at 8pm on a February Friday. A  cheerful promise to see them all at the Clachaig on Sunday left me free to set off solo with a headtorch probing the snow and a plastic bivvy bag for the occasional "sleep".

(OK, that's enough nostalgia, Grandad. Let's get you a nice cup of tea.)

Mark Bull - great fact. You win QI.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...