UKC

Wadi Rum this year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SFrancis 05 Mar 2024

I think I know the answer without really having to ask.... but I am not very au fait with the logistics or the region in general, but with the general instability in the area would it be best to avoid Wadi Rum this year? 

I am considering going in late autumn end of October / November,  and I guess what I want to know is would those who go often, or before consider going with the current situation? 

Thanks in advance. 

john arran 05 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis:

I'd be asking what it is that you're concerned about.

If it's personal safety then I don't think there's a lot to be worried about. Wadi Rum is (relatively) a long way from the very concentrated fighting in Gaza, and even if the conflict were to escalate more widely across the Middle East - which seems quite unlikely given that it hasn't happened yet - then Jordan isn't likely to play an active role.

If it's to help out the people of Wadi Rum, who are probably suffering ecomically through no fault of their own, then I'd say going there could make a positive difference (albeit a small one).

Inhambane 05 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis:

there was a thread a while back asking the same thing and I'd say the advice given then still holds true.  Expat life there is still unaffected and movement there as it was pre-October 2023. 

Avoid protests, namely Fridays in downtown Amman.  

you might struggle getting flights ?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/wadi_rum_in_jordan_would_you_go...

Post edited at 12:08
 Robert Durran 05 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis:

I'd go, but I might struggle to get others to go with me.

In reply to Inhambane:

> you might struggle getting flights ?

Easyjet have stopped flying to Aqaba, but I've just had a quick look and there are plenty of flights to Amman.

planetmarshall 05 Mar 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I'd go, but I might struggle to get others to go with me.

I'm in, Rob

In reply to planetmarshall:

> I'm in, Rob

Ok! I'll keep you in the loop.

kingholmesy 06 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis:

I was there in the last week of November 2023 into the first week of December 2023.

Flight into Aqaba was cancelled by EasyJet, so flew to Amman with Wizz Air instead and got a taxi down to Rum.

I felt totally safe while there and would have no hesitations going again.  Fantastic climbing and great people.

David Coley 06 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis:

I'd be more than happy to go.

PS. went to Oman in December.

mark4344 06 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis:

Have just returned from a fantastic trip to Wadi Rum and cannot fault the hospitality we had there. Initially booked easyJet to Aqaba, but flights cancelled, so flew Whiz air to Amman. Did 1 night at dead sea, 6 nights climbing around Wadi Rum and last night at Wadi Musa for Petra. Police and army checkpoints everywhere, all locals very friendly and welcoming. English spoken everywhere and WiFi available at most restaurants in wadi rum. It's obviously taken a hit with people staying away, but plenty of German, French and Italian out there, some American, but we didn't see any other English and only met 2 other climbers. I'd happily return with my family. Petra without the coach parties also a bonus last week.

Robert Durran 06 Mar 2024
In reply to mark4344:

Sounds like a great time to go then!

OP SFrancis 12 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis:

Thanks all, i'm persuaded....

I will see if I can get flights out there for mid-Nov- early December. 

David Bowler 13 Mar 2024
In reply to SFrancis

6of us planning to be there in the second half of November.

trying.soft 06 Apr 2024

I'd love to go! Who takes me!? 😅

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...