Society of the Snow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I’ve just seen Society of the Snow.

… and feel quite numb, but also very, very moved. WOW.

I don’t wish to exaggerate, so I’ll put it as mildly as possible: it’s approximately one trillion times better than the ponderous, dull, and uncinematic Oppenheimer. In every way. Superbly crafted and acted. Plus an exceptional music score (again in stark contrast with Oppenheimer). 

One of the most harrowing and yet moving films I’ve ever seen.

(Doesn’t say much for the Oscar judges).

McHeath 14 Mar 2024
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I wasn’t going to watch it, but I definitely shall now. Thanks!

Blue Straggler 15 Mar 2024

If Oppenheimer is "ponderous, dull, and uncinematic" why did you award it three stars? Do you mark these things out of twenty?

Blue Straggler 15 Mar 2024

> (Doesn’t say much for the Oscar judges).

The AMPAS doesn't have "judges". It's not Cannes (which has a JURY voting, rather than judges). They have many voters. AMPAS members. It's really a quite different system. I find it extraordinarily unbelievable that you could be ignorant of this, considering your history working in the film industry, which you often reference in your posts. Or were you using "judges" as some sort of shorthand, for effect?

Post edited at 00:16
In reply to Blue Straggler:

It was a combination of shorthand and carelessness, forgetting very briefly what I know perfectly well, that it’s done byi the voting of the membership.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> If Oppenheimer is "ponderous, dull, and uncinematic" why did you award it three stars? Do you mark these things out of twenty?

You’ve lost me t here. I mark these things out of 5 stars (1 meaning very poor and 5 meaning very good.) 3 isn’t very good, it’s middling. Oppeneimer had its merits (a very interesting character, well portrayed), but the film was in my opinion far too long, and only really picked up in the second half. As I say, I didn’t find it very cinematic, in the way that, say, Barbie, was. [Big subject this - don’t ask me to expand on it now because I’m working all hours polishing my latest book for american agent to see next week … which is why I’m writing this at 2.15 in the morning.] Society of the Snow was for me a straight 5 stars. Quite exceptional, and quite exceptionally moving. Everyone in the cinema was fighting back the tears at the end. There was a lot of snuffling. A few people were actually crying. (It’s a mixture of sorrow about those who have died, and overwhelming joy about those who have survived.)

The film craft is absolutely stunning throughout; the sense of reality total. Plus, as I said before, an exceptional music score. But also a very good sound track when there’s no music … much use of the wind etc. Also a very good script which builds up the characters exceptionally well. Very much about the characters, and the cannibalism is dealt with very sparingly, at a distance, (I nearly said ’tastefully’! ) and not dwelt on more any more than is necessary.

The plane crash itself is an exceptional sequence, shockingly powerful, brilliantly edited.

pencilled in 15 Mar 2024

Great film. I recommended to some Spanish friends who adored it (without having to read subtitles). I wonder how much more immersive it was for them? It was absorbing for me, subtitles and all. 
Having seen Alive, I knew the story-ish, but this was a cut above by some margin. 

PS I fell asleep watching Oppenheimer and I like Nolan’s work. 

Post edited at 11:51
 Kean 15 Mar 2024

I've kind of been avoiding watching it cos I read Nando Parrado's first-hand account "Miracle in the Andes". One the the most gripping books I've ever read. After the book, I'm expecting the film to be a bit of a let-down... but you've sold it to me.

In reply to Kean:

You won’t be disappointed. Alive was pretty good, but this is much better. But spoiler warning: it’s an emotional ride.

mrphilipoldham 15 Mar 2024

Almost watched it last night but opted for Liverpool v Sparta which ended up being over in 10 minutes then sat staring at my phone instead. I'm definitely going to watch it tonight!

mrphilipoldham 15 Mar 2024
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Just an update, I didn’t watch it.. I watched the last episode of Masters of the Air instead, good viewing, if you haven’t.

Robert Durran 15 Mar 2024
In reply to pencilled in:

> Great film. I recommended to some Spanish friends who adored it (without having to read subtitles). I wonder how much more immersive it was for them? 

Talking of subtitles, I caught the Bhutanese Oscar nominated film "Lunana" on BBC4 late last night. It is in Dzongkha with English subtitles. I simply cannot overstate how wonderful I found it (I watched it again with my mum this evening!). Something of a Local Hero of the Himalayas, but very different too. Breathtaking in every way and, despite its slow pace, had me literally on the edge of my seat at times not wanting to miss any detail of its beauty. Sublime and just incredibly powerful. And I actually think the fact that it was subtitled made it even more engaging and immersive; the language and song was such an essential part of the experience.

On iplayer: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001x9j1/lunana-a-yak-in-the-classroo...

> PS I fell asleep watching Oppenheimer.

I wish I had; it would have been a much better use of my time. God it dragged.

Post edited at 23:25
 pencilled in 15 Mar 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

Thank you very much. Your passion for mountains translates perfectly in your testament and I’m sold; there’s some rugby to watch tomorrow but maybe Sunday. 
Good luck for an equally pleasant viewing with Scotland tomorrow, although I fear it could be a different experience. 

Robert Durran 16 Mar 2024

> Thank you very much. Your passion for mountains translates perfectly in your testament and I’m sold; there’s some rugby to watch tomorrow but maybe Sunday. 

I hope you enjoy it. If I have any criticism it is that it is a little slow to get going at the start, but that is soon forgotten.

> Good luck for an equally pleasant viewing with Scotland tomorrow, although I fear it could be a different experience. 

I fear so too!

gld73 16 Mar 2024

Agree, "Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom" is a lovely film. I thought it might be one of those beautiful ones where nothing actually happens, but was very pleasantly surprised to find that isn't the case, it's extremely watchable.

Offwidth 16 Mar 2024

Good to hear. I've got it recorded.

PeakTrekker 20 Mar 2024

Really powerful film. Couldn't agree more that the filmmaking and acting were top notch. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time too. And those emotional moments at the end really got to me. 

steveriley 20 Mar 2024

I'm steeling myself for Society of the Snow.

If we're doing general recommends Past Lives is very much worth a watch. Quiet, gentle & reflective, a lot said with little dialogue. 

pencilled in 20 Mar 2024

Lunana was beautiful; I thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks. That’s not an altitude problem, it’s an attitude problem.!

Robert Durran 20 Mar 2024

> Lunana was beautiful; I thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks. That’s not an altitude problem, it’s an attitude problem.!

Glad you enjoyed it. The best thing about that joke is that it only, presumably, works in translation from the original Dzongkha. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...