Cycling Ireland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rummmer 19 May 2015
I have just had a thought for my next holiday and I wanted to see if it was at all possible.

in 14 days would I be able to cycle the Irish coastline? I am reasonably fit but probably not fit enough for 100mile back to back days. I could cut some of the Coast out but I just wondered if I could do it in that time anyway?

Any feedback or experience really welcomed!

Thanks!
 Chris the Tall 19 May 2015
In reply to Rummmer:

Depends on how many pubs you stop at on-route !

There is a designated route along the west coast - the Wild Atlantic Way - which really appeals to me
http://www.ireland.com/en-gb/wild-atlantic-way/

I took my bike over last year and did a few rides, including a 120 mile circuit around Sligo that was actually quite easy (compared to riding that sort of distance in Yorkshire!) Also did a stretch of the north coast, past the Giants Causeway. The roads are lovely for riding, little traffic and generally good condition. I initially made the mistake of using real back roads to avoid the traffic, then found as long as you avoid the major trunk roads you're fine.

Jim C 19 May 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Stunning West Coast.
I went all the way around in a fortnight (in my car !) Stopping off for a bit of climbing, walking, sightseing. Crawled round and down the top Bottom and West coast, then bombed it up the Moterways , with s few stop offs for the odd hill on the East Coast.

The old car I had at the time struggled with some of the hills though.
 Chris the Tall 19 May 2015
In reply to Jim C:

Just totted up the 5 sections of the Wild Atlantic Way and its over 1600 miles ! Even just the Donegal section is 346 miles.
 wilkesley 19 May 2015
In reply to Rummmer:

In rural Ireland there are B&B's almost literally every few hundred yards, so you shouldn't find any difficulty finding somewhere to stay. Not usually necessary to book in advance, as if the first one is full the next one isn't very far away.
 Tricky Dicky 19 May 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

That's what I used to think until I rolled into a town that was having a folk festival. The lady in the tourist information office told me that every B&B for 50 miles was full, but she managed to find some floorspace for my wife and I to sleep on
In reply to Rummmer:

There's some wonderful cycling in Kerry.

The Ring of Kerry would be on my list.

As well as that, there are miles of back roads/lanes that get you into some unforgettable backwaters that are seldom visited by tourists.

Ireland is a great destination, wherever you end up though!
 wilkesley 20 May 2015
In reply to Rummmer:

We did a circuit of Connemara http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Carna_Connemara_Circular-Cycle-Route-5696... a few years ago. Nice loop of about 30 miles from Clifden. You can also see the remains of the Marconi radio station and near there, if you don't mind a bit of bog trotting, the site where Alcock and Brown landed/crashed on the first transatlantic flight.
Jim C 20 May 2015
In reply to wilkesley:
> (In reply to Rummmer)
>
> In rural Ireland there are B&B's almost literally every few hundred yards, so you shouldn't find any difficulty finding somewhere to stay. Not usually necessary to book in advance, as if the first one is full the next one isn't very far away.

If they are full they will recommend someone to you, and even call them if you are lucky. (as I found )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...