Beginners Ice Climbing Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tonyg9241 22 Jul 2023

Hi all I came across a company on Facebook called Skyhook offering a Beginners Ice Climbing course in Norway for 3 days including accommodation £340 as well a few other itinerary they do have a Webb site https://www.skyhookadventure.com/trips/beginners-ice-climbing 

does any one have experience with this out fit 

thanks Tony 

mutt 22 Jul 2023
In reply to tonyg9241:

No direct experience but rjukan is a great place to learn. Their gallery is showing everything I expect to see of a ice climbing course in the rjukan area and they seem to have positive reviews 

Post edited at 15:35
 echo34 22 Jul 2023
In reply to tonyg9241:

They are legit, it’s based out of the old school hostel, cheap as self catered and hostel rooms. 

olddirtydoggy 23 Jul 2023
In reply to tonyg9241:

Can't comment on the company or their reputation. One question I would ask is the ratio of punters to instructors. I've seen pairs of guides out with very large groups which means you might not second more than a route in a short day. Sometimes a guides assistant will set up a couple of top ropes before the main group arrive and that might be your day.

It might be you could pay more for 2:1 and you'll get much more out of it. Rjukan is an amazing place and might be a springboard into something you'll love. Ask a lot of questions, all the best with your plans.

OP tonyg9241 25 Jul 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Hi all many thanks for the information Tony 

MB42 25 Jul 2023
In reply to tonyg9241:

I know a couple of people who have instructed for them in Rjukan who I'd rate as decent instructors and a friend of ours did one of their slightly longer mid-week intermediate courses and thought it was excellent. However I've also bumped into the beginner course groups at Krokan/Ozzie several times and they seem to be pretty large groups and sometimes with a chunk of people who are novices at any sort of climbing/outdoors which inevitably slows things down - so it might be worth checking the client/student ratio and comparing with others.

Rich W Parker 25 Jul 2023
In reply to tonyg9241:

Skyhook are an agency style business, fine but with limitations.

I'd suggest Donald King who runs courses out there every year. I know in this day and age every post garners nudges for mates but this is a real recommendation. 

https://www.dkclimbing.com/norway-ice-climbing.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...