UKC

Haverfordwest stupid rules

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Baz P 28 Mar 2024

I’m off to Pembroke on Saturday on a family holiday. Not taking ropes or climbing outside but thought that if the weather was rubbish we could visit the climbing wall at Haverfordwest. 
Oh no, they only do an induction on a Friday but we don’t arrive until Saturday and leave on Saturday. What a stupid Council ruling is that? You would think that being in a popular tourist area the local Council would be glad of any income. Perhaps the Welsh Councils are not as broke as here up north. 

Ciro 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

Or perhaps they prefer the locals not to be crowded out of the wall on wet weekends?

ExiledScot 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

Local wall for Local people. 

nikoid 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

Why do the Council get involved in when a climbing wall can run inductions?

OP Baz P 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Ciro:

Let’s hope the locals payed for it then and it didn’t come out of my taxes. 

mik82 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

Quite a bit of entitlement here?

This is a small wall in a council-run leisure centre and I very much doubt they make any money from climbers or can afford to have an instructor there all the time just because tourists might want to climb as it's raining.  Particularly over an Easter weekend.

If it's raining then go to the Overhang in Carmarthen. 

OP Baz P 29 Mar 2024
In reply to mik82:

Thanks for the sensible reply. It’s obviously similar to my local council walls. The staff don’t seem to be interested in the climbing side and put obstacles in the way of using it. Eventually it gets very little use and turns into a white elephant. Shortly after a new local leisure centre opened the staff wouldn’t let me in just to look at it. I was wearing a collar and tie and had no equipment. 
As the climbing was out we tried to arrange swimming for the kids at Haverfordwest but after a 30 minute wait on the phone they were very unhelpful citing that it gets very busy and we may not get in so we should just turn up. Turns out there is an app called Pembroke Leisure where we can book. Perhaps I should have asked a Welsh friend to phone. 

In reply to Baz P:

If you feel that the situation is similar at your local leisure centres, why the weird digs at Welsh people?

ivanwindrush 29 Mar 2024
In reply to Baz P:

There is a newish bouldering wall nearby- near Narberth which may require less paperwork.

https://www.wildlakeswales.com

OP Baz P 02 Apr 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

I have a dig at everyone who leaves me waiting 30 mins on the phone and is unhelpful when they answer. I did say that also my locals were uninterested in the wall side. 
Just got Scotland to try now. 

Andy Say 02 Apr 2024
In reply to nikoid:

> Why do the Council get involved in when a climbing wall can run inductions?

I'm guessing it might be because they own it?

Just a wild stab in the dark you understand.

nikoid 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Andy Say:

Yes,yes, I know. It was a daft comment.

montyjohn 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Baz P:

The issue will be that the council will not operate to maximise profits. They have little incentive to do so. They will do what's easy.

If they wanted a climbing wall, they could have just leased the space to one of the many climbing centre companies.

Could have avoided tax paying paying for it and it would be operated to allow as many people as possible to use it. Win win.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...