Mountain Literature Classics: Of Walking in Ice by Werner Herzog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Few have explored the extremes of outdoor life further than Bavarian film-maker Werner Herzog. As well as his many films - some strange, some disturbing - Herzog is a long-distance walker, and a writer too. Of Walking In Ice is only 66 pages, but it's still a big read, says Ronald Turnbull.

Read more

McHeath 15 Feb 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Great article, thanks for this - loads of really interesting new information for me in there.

Amazing guy, and probably the only one on the planet who could handle Klaus Kinski. This is Kinski complaining about the food to the production mananger during the shooting of "Fitzcarraldo"; Herzog (voiceover) states that this was a comparatively mild outburst compared to the ones he himself was often subjected to:

youtube.com/watch?v=MPKODzv1PD4&

Post edited at 11:42
 DaveHK 15 Feb 2024

>  Bavarian film-maker Werner Herzog. Herzog is a long-distance walker, and a writer too. 

I listened to the 'This Cultural Life' podcast with him and he says he's not a filmmaker. He's absolutely adamant that he's a writer, not a director, spent the whole episode correcting the presenter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ry77

Adam_42 15 Feb 2024

If the note regarding the BFI list is in reference to the Sight & Sound poll, then Herzog does make the list. The latest edition has Aguirre, Wrath of God at 118.

TechnoJim 15 Feb 2024

Any excuse to shoe-horn this in:

youtube.com/watch?v=EvWh6PMi9Ek&

In reply to Adam_42:

That’s an intense performance from Kinski, absolutely brilliant. And Cobra Verde, Fitzcaraldo….

Dale Turrell 16 Feb 2024

Fascinating stuff.

To add, Herzog's documentary about the making of Fitzcarraldo, where they drag a steamboat over a mountain is called Burden of Dreams, which I'm sure inspired Nalle's naming of his 9A Lapnor project.

On the anecdote about threatening Klaus Kinski. In My Best Fiend, his documentary about his relationship with Kinski, Herzog recalls that near the ending of production of Aguirre, Kinski was having a tantrum and threatened to leave the production. He was packing his things into a speed boat and Herzog told him he had a rifle and by the time the boat got to the next bend in the river he'd have 8 bullets in his head. I don't think anyone who's seen the documentary would doubt that he was being sincere or blame him.

Post edited at 22:46
In reply to Dale Turrell:

My Best Fiend is a brilliant watch! I remember watching that in my room as a teenager being absolutely blown away at some of the stories and clips of Kinski in his most egomaniacal states. Hilarious and terrifying at the same time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...