Camping in St Gervais

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Turner 07 Apr 2004
I'm off to the Alps again at the end of May to have another crack at Mont Blanc with Steve. Last year was a joke, you know the story hot weather, rock fall, etc. This year we're hoping to increase our chances by going early. Anyway we're also on a tight budget and were wondering if anyone knows of and has contact details of good campsites in St Gervais. Were planning to camp low for a couple of days and then move our tent progressively higher every couple of days doing some higher walks and climbs inbetween to acclimatise..... Any suggestions.......
OP robinb 07 Apr 2004
When up high, is it cool to camp, if your tent is up after dusk, and down at dawn, or there abouts? Is that whats classified as a bivvi by the french?

What about in Switzerland?
matnoo 07 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy Turner:

The only camp site in St.Gervais as far as im aware is nice. I cant remember the price, so id assume its not too expensive.

A good plave to acclimatiseis the Hunters hut (sometimes called the baroque hut), spend a night there, the next day walk to tete rousse or the glacier and have a prat about doing snow skills, (you could carry some kit up if you like to save such a slog the next day) then back down to the hunters hut for a second night.

This cost £ sweet FA, as the huts unmanned, and over two days gets you acclimatised well for the third day for a legger to the goute (resonably expensive if you sleep in the hut).

Cheapest way to go up the mountian in comfort (i found anyway)

Mat
Andrew Turner 07 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy Turner:
Spooky Name...
 jools 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy Turner:

There is a campsite a little further up the valley towards nord de la gorge called 'le pontet' its cheap and very clean, showers, cafe and great cheap restaurant down the road at the lifts to Mont Joly.

From this camp site I recommend the routes up the TMB to the conscrits hut, never too busy as its way west of MB, from there do the dome du miage and bionassay to MB and then maybe down to the midi. This a great long route which can be escaped from in several directions if needed and take you past some great intermediatery climbs if thats what you want.

Can be done with just two bivvies or more if needed/wanted.

I like this route for a plod as you get the feeling of a long trip up high and the changing view is spectacular, weather permitting.

The main factor is this is not a rockfall route and only in extreme climate is it unsafe (last august it wasnt!).

Can give you route details and timings etc if you want, the route up the TMB is not all that clear but easy when you know the route.

Jools
 Wyddfa 08 Apr 2004
In reply to jools:

Hi Jools,

This sounds very interesting. It would be great if you could forward the route details to us. Sound like a good option.

Thanks,
Steve/Andy.
 Rowie B 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Wyddfa:

Try and get to Les Contamines as well if you can, it's a really pretty wee village. Tybrez is a good bar I have a couple of mates living there so could onpass their info if you wanted a guide around.
 jools 08 Apr 2004
 jools 08 Apr 2004
Part b

The route over bionassay is probably the trickest of the whole route and conditions can lead to a diversion across the SE face for a short section. On the ridge up to the summit there is a step and this is where you choose your route, either up on the ridge or traverse the face. I've only done the ridge route. The ridge is very exposed and careful steps are needed, its not technically difficult but the drops either side are a little daunting. Take care of cornices that build on the NW side. The route ahead is clear to the dome du gouter but dont rush! Time will now need to be assessed, and what route you plan. The bosses ridge is not difficult and the main issue will be people. If you are planning a route over the summit and down across the three monts (blanc, maudit, tacul) then you need to be making good time. Wiser may be to lose altitude for and early camp near the gouter hut and then start of at 12-1 and get on the summit for a sunrise (epic). Then carry on down to the col de la brenva and over maudit, classic pointy peak stuff, and then down to col maudit to bag tacul before the descent to the col du midi. This route is so well trodden as its seen as the new normal route now that the gouter route is a shooting gallery.

Once at the the col du midi, the obvious feeling in the legs says 'take the funkynicular Please!' but I suggest, if time and motivation is still with you, bivvy amongst the hords and get a good nights sleep (sort of), then explore, even if its just to walk down the mer de glace, or head over to the jorasses, just for a look, or whatever you feel up to. It just pays to walk from valley to valley with a number of pointy bits in between and makes as good an expedition as you can get in such a busy area. I have ducked out and taken the midi station back door before and although I was shattered I regretted it once back among the throngs of chamkids.

To escape back to the peace of Val montjoie take the train to Le fayat and then the bus up to the campsite.

I really like the Val montjoie for many reasons, its quieter, mainly french (little english spoken) cheaper and food is great and the water is free and everywhere! The streets a dotted with evian/volvic taps that dish up mineral water 24hrs a day! When you get to Cham the cost of a small bottle volvic will have you on the train in minutes!

Plus there a lots of parts of the MBM to explore that are devoid of humans.

Now I hope this is of some use and tempts you into the montjoie.

notes version to follow!! too large!
 jools 08 Apr 2004
Notes version:

Le Cugnon footpath TMB Small Hut - water & info

First Left fork 70m in, carry on up switch backs for hours!

Once above the tree line follow path towards tre la tete hut visible on first skyline.

Water stop at tre la tete.

Head towards the glaciers tre la tete, up the valley NNW. Look for boulder with a stick after level section of route. The route goes down to galcier snout. Look for via ferrata style metal work (steps & handrail).

make the glacier and head up the moraie ridge, follow cairns till near the seracs. Pick/follow route across the glacier at the first set of crevasses, perpendicular to flow.

Spot sign up on the wall 'danger!' with chain continuing up left across the wall. Careful.

Gain the ridge to the conscrits - first possible bivvy/hut stop. If using Huts phone the durier to confirm.

Central ridge (not all that clear) or central route to berangere. Start of long ridge walk across dome du miage, just keep on the sharp bit

Durier Hut on the col du miage - possible 2nd bivvy Hut Stay.

Ridge route - possible diversion on to face at the step - over bionassay. very exposed, tread carefully.

Turn right at Dome du gouter for MB or left for another stay at the gouter hut. Follow the sharp bit over MB then well trodden route over the three monts till at the cosmique hut.

Possible third/fourth bivvy/hut stop.

The rest of the alps are in front of you....!
Andy Turner 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Jools: Gee, how long did that take you (to write the post I mean lol) Cheers mate, lots of interesting info there..........
AW 08 Apr 2004
Andy,

There is a good campsite just north of Les Houches. As you travel south from Chamonix Sud, it is on the left before the Les Houches turn off. I think it is called Le Petit Pont. You will see it on the Cham map. It is not overcrowded (with Brits) and has good facilities at a reasonable price.

Tips for camping - make use of the left luggage facility at the Chamonix railway station so that you don't have to carry unnecessary kit onto the mountains.

Alternatively, do have a shop around for an apartment. You'll be surprised how cheap they are over the internet.
 Wyddfa 09 Apr 2004
In reply to jools:

Thanks Jools, that's brilliant.
Andy and myself will have a goog read of this, with the map. sound like a great alternative.
Thanks again for your time and effort.

Steve.
ChaletHosts 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy Turner:

Forget camping! And taking the tram up to Bellevue.

Our chalet is in in Les Houches 100m from the cable-car and the start of the Gouter Route.

See our website for full info and giveus a call or drop an email for a deal!!

http://www.skiers-lodge.eu.com
 jools 13 Apr 2004
In reply to Wyddfa:

no worries, yes andy it took a while, but I like this route as its not the norm, it makes a expedition over what is seen as simple tick, and it starts of in a quieter area of the region. Theres lots of areas untouched, especially in the west, that arent goat tracks full of would-bes!

Enjoy.

jools

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...