Grit boulders that require good lower body flexibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Looking for suggestions of Grit boulders in the 7A-7C range that people think are very lower body flexibility dependant. I realise flexibility always helps and static stretching may or may not make muscles weaker etc etc so I'm really not looking for a list of good or bad reasons to stretch or whatever, just problems in the Peak and Yorkshire that people think would be very much harder for people with poor lower body flexibility. I've been working on it a fair bit recently as it has been poor for years and hope to keep it up and test out progress every now and then

Some for the list off the top of my head:

Brad Pit and The Hippo at Stanage

Shit, Piss and The Flying Arete at Higgar Tor

Hard Arete/Tetris at The Five Clouds

Famous Grouse and Jason's Roof at Burbage

Soft on the G at Gardoms 

stone elworthy 02 Mar 2024
In reply to Laurence Everitt:

I've got awful flexibility -I admire you sorting yours out! 

I agree that flexibility looks a massive asset for Famous Grouse

I'm not sure flexibility matters for Tetris. Based on overlapping bits of it, I got the impression that weakness rather than stiffness was my problem.

Soft on the G seemed fine despite lack of flexibility. I didn't notice how it might have helped.

Might Ram Air at Ramshaw be ideal to revel in your newfound flexibility? From spotting someone, it looked as though it entails a foot-to-crotch manoeuvre. 

Post edited at 13:50
In reply to stone elworthy:

Nice one Stone, I will add it to the list.

Was more thinking the high left foot at the end of Tetris/Hard Arete, rather than moves specific to Tetris. I did it (HA that is) the other week but struggled big time in the past on that. Stuff like Soft and Jason's Stand at Burbage North I have struggled with despite a lot of low for the grade votes on both, I think it's the combo of poor flexibility AND long legs for me.

stone elworthy 02 Mar 2024

Long legs certainly isn't something I have to contend with!

SDM 02 Mar 2024

If someone is strong enough, good flexibility wouldn't be essential to climb Tetris.

But it makes it a lot easier if you are flexible. The high right foot is awkward for the inflexible. Open hips make the initial transition around the arete a lot easier too.

To OP: Anything with stepped roof and a high heel would qualify. Like Beta Blocker and Reservation at Anston or The Mentalist and Feeding the Pony at Churnet.

Flexibility helps a lot on mantles too. There's good circuits of mantles at Secret Garden and at Rowtor.

In reply to SDM:

Absolutely agree with a lot of the stuff at Secret Garden, found Beach Ball and Beach Bum very tough but just about manageable with knee shenanigans, flexibility would have helped a lot though.

Beta Blocker and Reservation were ok, Anston has always seemed a bit unusual for limestone, often it seems to help to be tall there more than most lime venues, except for Beretta, that was quite humbling! I get completely stuck half way up Passion at Roche Abbey too down to lack of flexibility more than anything.

Lhod 02 Mar 2024

Sulky Little Boys (f7A+) might fit the bill? I found it required flexibility and getting feet high while maintaining tension. 

SDM 02 Mar 2024

> Beta Blocker and Reservation were ok, Anston has always seemed a bit unusual for limestone, often it seems to help to be tall there more than most lime venues, except for Beretta, that was quite humbling!

Yeah, most things at Anston are quite a bit easier for the tall. Beretta and Beta Blocker are the two that stand out as being easier for the short. Black Crow, Revolver, Resonate, Ebola, Magnum, Colt, Dark Art, Alpha, Reservation, and everything at Hidden Wall are easier for the tall.

Stepped roofs in general tend to have a lot of moves that favour the tall. Impossible Roof and Conies Dale are often easier for the tall too.

Andrew Wells 05 Mar 2024

Sisyphus at Owler Tor

In reply to Andrew Wells:

Great shout, and Sulky Little Boys. I've failed on them both in the past. Thanks for the suggestions!

Conies dale was easy for the tall absolutely, forgot about that crag, similar to Anston in that sense 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...