Women’s skis - how different from Men’s?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gammarus 20 Feb 2024

There are lots of special offers on skis right now. How different is a ski labelled ‘Women’ from the same model without that label? Is it just the colour? 
I ask the question because I’m hunting for versatile piste / all mountain skis, and some models seem more available in the W version. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

DaveHK 20 Feb 2024
In reply to gammarus:

Softer flex and shorter lengths I would have thought.

HeMa 20 Feb 2024
In reply to gammarus:

Depends on the ski/brand.

Some are just cosmetic (color/graphics) with fancy marketing bullsh!te. And in some cases, there are really actual construction differences (also with marketing bullsh!te).

Faction is actually really honest in their marketing and claim that the skis are exactly the same, only difference is in the colors. And obviously in sizes they are offered in said color.  How ever, kids/junior skis are to the best of my knowledge different. So Faction slaps an X on the "womens" models and offers them in shorter lengths (shortest often being only in the X-model). And then the unisex colors are offered in longer lengths (one or tow lengths).

One possible way to try to see if there are differences, is to find the actual data from the manufacturer for the ski models in question. And then compare all the specs (does it say different things about the core, base etc.... also check the sidecuts, rocker amounts and also weight per same length). If all seem the same, incl. the weight for the same length unisex vs. womens model, most likely it's the same ski. But womens skis can also be made softer.

chiroshi 20 Feb 2024
In reply to HeMa:

HeMa is correct, most of the time they are identical if nothing is mentioned. 

I think the most common modification is to make the ski lighter (and softer) by removing some core material. The weight should be quite easy to check by looking at the specs. 

If you are a lightweight, casual skier then don't hesitate to buy a 'women's' ski. If you are a heavier or more powerful skier then you may want the unisex model if there is an actual stated difference.

OP gammarus 20 Feb 2024

Thanks folks, these comments are really helpful

pec 20 Feb 2024
In reply to gammarus:

I'm looking for some skis at the moment and have noticed the same thing.

I googled the difference between mens and womens and some results suggested that it might just be graphics but can be that the bit the bindings are mounted on and the marked boot centre point are further forward on women's skis because of their typically lower centre of gravity.

How much difference this actually makes I have no idea.

ExiledScot 20 Feb 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

It's similar when look for youth skis, where they might have the height if using the classic length buying metrics, but often not the body weight. 

HeMa 20 Feb 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

Kids skis are often indeed different to adult models (womens or unisex). Indeed due to lack of weight per height. Which often also means the skis need to be softer… might not come as a surprice, but majority of kids bindings (DINs up to 7) often have screws for 7mm deep holes. Where as on bindings, the screws are for 9mm holes.

So unless you’re a light weight… don’t pick a kids ski (even If it is available in your lenght… in some cases up to ~155cm), as they will feel way too soft.

But for women vs unisex skis, like said… the only difference is cosmetic and perhaps the lenghts available in said color. I’ve yet to see a different mount point (which makes sense as higher or lower center of gravity don’t change the attributes of the ski, like True center and do  on). But flex pattern they can change (so softer, often also means that the ski is lighter in the sane lenght). And in same cases they even use the same mold for three skis… beginner ski (cheap, soft and less quality materials), womens ski, and lastly the unisex model. And without proper knowledge from the factory… it’s hard to say If the womens ski is the same as the unisex. It’s own model. Or infact Re-skinned beginners ski, with perhaps better materials.

ExiledScot 20 Feb 2024
In reply to HeMa:

Yeah, digging into the detail is key. I just got another pair for one of our youths. Faction seems to only change top sheet for women/youths skis, where as blizzard, k2 and others have a different overall construction. 

Note. You can't believe all the adverts, often they'll throw 'all mountain' into the description, because it's the thing for many just now, but when you read up it's really just a piste ski. Sometimes the opposite is true with all round skis being way too soft and springy for hammered pistes at the end of a busy day. It's a mine field out there!

Post edited at 21:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...