Indoor herbs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 28 Jan 2024

I should have probably asked this before I sprinkled peppermint seeds all over my planter, but...

Does anyone have any recommendations for good herbs to grow indoors in the UK? I have some fairly massive east and north-facing windows, and I fancy growing some useful things in addition to the family of plants that I have. I was concerned that the conditions may be a bit too harsh for most of the common herbs (draughty sash windows, Scotland, etc), and so I've started off with just a bay tree and some mint - but I would quite like to add to that if possible.

Bottom Clinger 28 Jan 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Basil. The theory is, sow some seeds, then sow another batch a month later.  

Tringa 29 Jan 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Rosemary.

It is usually grown outdoors but it will grow inside provided it has enough light. It will get too large eventually but it is very easy strike from cuttings. If you have anywhere outdoors then try it there too. Despite it apparently being Mediterranean in orgin it is a very hardy plant.

Dave 

Bottom Clinger 29 Jan 2024
In reply to Tringa:

Underused as well, it’s great with fish ( season, slice lemon, sprig of rosemary, wrap in tin foil and baked)

65 29 Jan 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Bay will be fine but it will outgrow your home very quickly. We have an unstoppable bay tree in our back garden, which is north facing and only gets a couple of hours sunlight around 0500 in June. The tree seems to do fine, it’s probably in the worst soil in the whole garden as well.

dread-i 29 Jan 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

I've grown chillies for the last couple of years. Nothing exotic or bonkers hot, just birds-eye. They need sun, so start them off in a month or two. You could grown several types side by side, without much effort. Dry them or make oil or jam if you have too many at harvest time.

Sharp 29 Jan 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Soft herbs die in my windowsills when it's cold (also cold draughty Scottish windows here), Mediterranean herbage like basil, coriander, flat leaf pars etc. will die as soon as your windows ice up. You will need grow lights if you want enough growth to produce enough to regularly cook with, particularly if your windows aren't south facing. Curly leaf parsley does well, basil does really well in the summer but needs light and warmth, corriander might do well in summer with your aspect - it doesn't like drying out and struggles in full sun in south facing windows. I find mint hard to propagate, they need light and warmth (so don't burry the seeds) but once sprouted will grow anywhere and are hard to kill. Hard herbs like rosemary, thyme, bay will do ok in a cold window during winter but again, you won't get new growth without more light. You get some interesting varieties of herbs that grow easier so it would be worth checking out different varieties of common herbs, some types of basil for example are hardier than the common type you find in the supermarket. I can't remember the name, but I had one last year with really small leaves that was pretty tenacious. 

OP tehmarks 29 Jan 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks, some useful beta there. I've decided to go all-in with a mushroom experiment too, and try wine caps in their own little window box of substrate, a log of lion's mane or oyster, and maybe another mini box of shiitake in used coffee grounds.

In reply to tehmarks:

Chili plants are easy and look nice. Start them now. Dusk or Calico are great houseplants but you can just use seeds from a supermarket one if you're not fussy.

Rampart 30 Jan 2024
In reply to tehmarks:

> I've decided to go all-in with a mushroom experiment too

I got a kit for Christmas, which has been pretty simple to look bring on (though also, with The Last of Us in mind, slightly creepy) - possibly a bit of a short-lived novelty, though, unless I can get the little mycelial block to spread into something else after a couple of rounds of sprouting. Possibly one can just leave a couple of caps to spore into some virgin compost.

For herbs, I'd also back Basil, with the caveat that in the warmer months it does seem prone, at least in my experience, to aphid infestations when on a windowsill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...