Mattress squidge factor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wingnut 25 Jan 2024

One for the UKC hive mind:

In the interests of avoiding horrific 4am back-ache, is there a scale on which to evaluate "squidge" in mattresses? Preferably in ways in which to work out whether it's a good time for the offending  mattress to be given away to someone with a bouldering cave, but also to work out what to ask for when hitting Ikea for a less painful replacement?

broken spectre 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Wingnut:

Go too firm, this way you can soften it up if needs be by adding a topper. Go the other way round and you're out of options. I have an orthopaedic one with a memory foam topper. Mind you my back's cream-crackered.

OP Wingnut 25 Jan 2024
In reply to broken spectre:

It's already a bit too firm, unfortunately. Mind you, I'm sure the Llanberis slate tips are glad their spare rocks got recycled as random west mids bedding.

abr1966 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Wingnut:

When I bought a new one recently they were graded....5 was a brick...4 seemed good, 3 a bit too soft etc!

I got a 4 slept on it 3 nights and it was like a thin roll matt crippling my back.....a £35 memory foam topper and it's perfect!!

Michael Hood 26 Jan 2024
In reply to abr1966:

Have you tried the memory foam topper without the mattress underneath? Does it do the job by itself?

It's just that although I understand the combination might be perfect, it always seems to me that needing two mattresses (because that's basically what a MFT is) implies that at least one of them isn't doing its job properly.

[the exception might be if the combination is much cheaper than obtaining the same result from a single mattress]

BusyLizzie 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Wingnut:

I changed mattresses about 20 years ago when my backache was dreadful; the problem seemed to be that it was too hard and my back couldn't curve as required. After much lying on various mattresses in the shop I got one with in integral memory foam, and it was a  great improvement and is still good.

deepsoup 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> [the exception might be if the combination is much cheaper than obtaining the same result from a single mattress]

It seems reasonable to assume that the squidgy foam is less durable than the firm springy bit, so even if it isn't much cheaper initially it'll still be a lot cheaper and more sustainable to just replace the squidgy topper when the time comes.

Michael Hood 26 Jan 2024
In reply to deepsoup:

> It seems reasonable to assume that the squidgy foam is less durable than the firm springy bit, so even if it isn't much cheaper initially it'll still be a lot cheaper and more sustainable to just replace the squidgy topper when the time comes.

That makes sense, lifetime (of the bed!) costs rather than initial purchase price.

In reply to abr1966:

I think it's easy to convince yourself a firmer mattress feels better in the shop. But a full night's (non)sleep proves otherwise...

I too bought a '4'. I should probably have got a '3'. And should probably get a topper.

As for longevity, my patents bought a 'Dunlopillo' foam mattress many, many years ago. They switched to individual 'bendy beds', and needed to decide which double mattress to keep; the foam, or a much more recent conventional mattress in the spare room. Various guests tried them. They kept the old Dunlopillo. Don't know if this translates to modern memory foam mattresses.

Bottom Clinger 26 Jan 2024
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I’ve a permanently dodgy back (disc removed years ago).  I’ve learnt that, for me, firm beds are worse for exactly the reasons you describe. We had an OK mattress, but slung a memory foam topper on it the other year - huge improvement (it helped ‘fill in the gaps’ of the curve in my spine, offered better support).  

In reply to Wingnut:

I’ve just changed my mattress and here are some thoughts (just IMO/experience); sure someone on here can correct. Apologies for the long post, hope it’s of some use.

Scales and descriptions are manufacturer specific and not really transferable. Eg one firm is soft/medium, or medium etc to another. Orthopaedic though tends to be on the firmer side, often too firm for most IMO, but not necessarily what you need. A firm, or medium firm non orthopaedic maybe better.

More springs does not necessarily mean better (c/w foam, no springs, which lots swear by); it’s how they react and positioned. Some are manufactured with soft edges and reports of folk feeling they will roll off. 

The top does not necessarily fail before the springs and other internal parts. The one I’ve stopped using was just a “weakening” of springs where I slept; the top was as new but a visible dip showed the internals springs didn’t have the same rebound ability.

Memory foam - reacts to heat (or so I’m told) so the hotter you get the softer it will be. Heated blankets can’t be used if that is your thing. A lot find them too hot and the latest marketing is to have an integrated top with cooling gel!

All toppers add to depth - you may need new deeper fitted sheets/larger flat sheets to fit.

A lot of mattresses are no turn, rotate only, others are no turn no rotate, and the old style turn and rotate. Take you pick; no idea if it makes much difference to most. Maybe if you are significantly different weight to your partner or such like it might.

Some manufacturers and or retailers now do guarantees for suitability, eg 60/90 days sleep trials or a swap (subject to T&Cs). Worth considering if you really don’t know what will suit you. Ideally find a retailer you can go and try in store as these often show what the wear and changes a mattress will look and feel like after some time. Go back more than once and re try - my preference from a first visit wasn’t on my second as I lay on a different make that I previously discounted as it was described as firm and I was looking for a medium/firm.

Most manufacturers/retailers discount their mattresses at certain times of year. Huge savings can be made if you don’t have to buy on a particular day. I saved some £600 on RRP, by waiting a few weeks. The retailer was open and told me to wait for the 20% off which I did, to then discover a further reduction whilst it was on order. They agreed to match the new price.

BTW, (double) mattresses range from £200 to almost £20000 when I was searching!! Pays your money ….

OP Wingnut 28 Jan 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

No need to apologise, that was actually really useful! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...