Favourite Animated shorts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JCurrie 21 Jan 2024

Talk of midges on the Skye thread reminds me again of one of my favourite animations.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/blackfly/

It also provides another opportunity to share the amazing trove that is the NFB website.

The Cat Came Back is another joyous piece.

Enjoy!

In reply to JCurrie:

Not any specific favourites that I would name, but if looking for inspiration things like the Annecy animation festival and others has loads to choose from.

RBonney 21 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

I'm not 100% sure this is the sort of thing your talking about but I feel the linked video is very simple but extremely powerful. 

https://youtu.be/HUngLgGRJpo?si=wVSKBuz8aYxu6K9Q

OP JCurrie 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Andrew Breckill:

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn’t know about that and will spend some time exploring.

OP JCurrie 21 Jan 2024
In reply to RBonney:

Thanks for sharing this. It’s amazing how quickly one can become emotionally attached to a line drawing. 

Jamie Hageman 22 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

In the 1990s, Tony Robinson hosted an animation tv show that showcased all sorts of interesting shorts.  I remember The Cat Came Back from then, but there was another animation on the same show that was amazing and wonderful.  Unfortunately I just can't remember what it was or even what it was about.  I shall enjoy looking through the NFB website.  Thanks!

Blue Straggler 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Also C4 and BBC2 used to regular show various little programmes of animated shorts, many of which did seem to come from NFB. 

Co Hoedeman's Le Chateau de Sable is a painstaking masterpiece, ditto Ishu Patel's Paradise. 

A lot of Bill Plympton's claymation etc. 

For a bit more arty, stuff by Caroline Leaf

and a brilliant beautiful little one, The Big Snit - works on multiple levels. 

And yes The Cat Came Back (although I tend to side with the cat, it's only doing standard cat things, the guy is pretty impatient about it all )

What I'd really like to see again is (I think) a British one called V.I.C.T.O.R. which was a wordless thing about a conditioning experiment on a violent delinquent youth (a bit like in A Clockwork Orange). I've forgotten what the acronym was. Violence Induced, Control Terminated something something. 

And one that I think someone mentioned on here a while back, with a granny on a scooter always managing to catch up with and annoy some hairy bikers  

felt 22 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

I've always felt an affinity with Jan Švankmajer:

youtube.com/watch?v=RwTm6DWaPbU&

felt 22 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

I've always liked Jan Švankmajer:

youtube.com/watch?v=RwTm6DWaPbU&

Fredt 22 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

I remember some from the C4 series, where there were repeated cycles of animations using, photo real 'cut out' figures. 
I'll try and describe one, would be wonderful if anyone can identify it.

Starts with a room with an open window and a door.
A ball bounces in the door.
someone enters the room.
the ball bounces in again, someone enters the room, and layer on layer of repeated actions, until the room was teeming with repeated things happening. A bit like a song 'round' but with images.
All I remember is that it was from Romania.

There was another from the same guy, a street scene with people and a bus and cars, again repeated layers.

OP JCurrie 22 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

Some helpful ideas folks, thanks.

Liquid TV on bbc2 and Fourmations on channel4 are the series I think Blue Straggler is remembering?

Someone has gathered together many from the latter

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHk7Mi8CK44gLUKzEiiDWmzUztGd6AzPZ

and searching Stick Figure Theatre brings up a series I enjoyed that was showcased on Liquid TV.

I am keen to find one (I think from 4mations) that involved a horizontal one across the screen and the animator ‘riffs’ on what that could mean. I have a memory of a part where people are ice skating on it… bit vague but if anyone can help?!

OP JCurrie 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Fredt:

Our posts crossed. Maybe your film is one in the link I included? Only 111 to go through.

Fredt 22 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

I googled 'Fourmations' and Wikipedia has a full list of episodes and titles.

I checked the database and found the film I mentioned! Many thanks!

youtube.com/watch?v=z27z7oLQb3o&

Post edited at 17:13
 AdrianC 22 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

This one from Birdbox Studio...

youtube.com/watch?v=EOfy5LDpEHo&

OP JCurrie 23 Jan 2024
In reply to AdrianC:

Ace! That made me properly laugh.

OP JCurrie 23 Jan 2024
In reply to patrick_b:

Thanks for sharing this. Lots for me to delve into in the coming days.

tlouth7 24 Jan 2024
In reply to JCurrie:

This is my favourite, did well at the mountain film festivals a while back.

vimeo.com/371393039

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...