Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Groundhog 16 Jan 2024

My wife and I are struggling to get insurance for our piste ski trip.  We are 74 and 76. We regularly hike, climb and mountain bike.  I have mild copd am on a waiting list for a linguinal hernia op. Neither of which will affect my skiing or are remotely likely to cause me to make a claim. There are two younger people in our group with no medical issues. We've had a quote for £800! If I leave out my medical issues the quote is £200.

Anyone know of a company that is more understanding? If I don't state my problems am I at risk of having a claim disallowed?

Thanks in advance. 

Becky E 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Groundhog:

Who have you got quotes from?

And yes, if you don't tell them about pre-existing medical conditions, it could invalidate your insurance (even if your claim is totally unrelated). Check the T&Cs of the insurance.

Stenton 17 Jan 2024
In reply to Groundhog:

https://www.goodtogoinsurance.com/travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-con...

Assuming you're travelling to Europe, I did a test application here with your conditions and it came out a lot less than you were quoting. Obviously only you know the answers to the medical questions they ask.

Check that any cover you find is suitable for your circumstances. 

And yes, unless you declare EVERYTHING, NOTHING is covered.

robhorton 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Groundhog:

My understanding is Snowcard wouldn't cover your existing conditions but you would be covered otherwise, if that is acceptable: https://www.snowcard.co.uk/pre-existing-medical-conditions-0

If you're travelling to the EU a GHIC might provide some help in that situation but wouldn't cover repatriation etc.

Durkules 18 Jan 2024
In reply to Groundhog:

Take a look at LV if you haven't already... I was on a similar search for the family recently (albeit with different pre-existing conditions) and their quote was the best by far.

In reply to Groundhog:

As said, try snowcard. Pretty sure they take the simple approach of just not covering preexisting.

OP Groundhog 19 Jan 2024
In reply to robhorton:

Thanks for the replies 

I have got cover from Snowcard which as robhorton has said offers cover excluding existing conditions. This is not a problem as my existing conditions are not going to cause me to make a claim. My wife had tried to get group cover and kept getting refused. For some reason when we applied for cover separately we got it for less than £250 total for all 4 of us. Snowcard appears to be the only company which doesn't require you to enter all your medical issues and simply states they they will only cover you for new problems that occur while you're away. Another bonus is that they cover for off piste.

However they won't cover over 75's. So in future, If I'm still active, I will have to look elsewhere

Thanks again. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...