Seeking Advice: Down Jacket and Waterproof Shell combo for Skiing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 huckleberry 28 Dec 2023

Hey everyone!

I've got a skiing trip lined up for next month, and I'm contemplating a gear decision that I'd love your input on. Instead of investing in a dedicated ski jacket, I'm considering pairing my trusty Lightweight Down Jacket (Rab Kaon) with a 2.5L Waterproof Shell which I typically use for summer mountaineering in the Alps.

Has anyone else tried a similar combo to this on the slopes? I'm curious about your experiences – how did it handle the cold, moisture, and movement on the slopes? Did you find it to be a suitable alternative to a traditional ski jacket? Any specific pros and cons you'd like to share?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and gathering some valuable insights before I hit the slopes. Thanks in advance for your help! 🏂❄️🏔️

Doug 28 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

where are you going ? I assume the Alps but maybe you're going to N America (often colder). I've been skiing for 40 years & I've never owned a ski jacket, instead I wear one or more layers for warmth under a goretex (or similar) jacket or if conditions are good a softshell type jacket. I've sometimes skied in a pile & pertex (eg Buffalo) top but usually for touring rather than piste skiing.

Max factor 28 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

100% fine. Not sure what you mean by a 2.5L shell, but I have skied with a shell and various layering for years without ever feeling the need for a dedicated ski jacket. Actually better for temp. regulation in warm weather if you ski with a rucksack. 

TomYoung 28 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

Now I am by no means an expert with my two weeks of skiing ever - but last year on our resort trip I was pretty happy with baselayer, a Polartec fleece, a synthetic puffy and my waterproof (think it's an ME Changabang). If anything the puffy was too hot and I went out in just the fleece under the hardshell - if it was overcast or particularly blowy this was a bit nippy on the lifts but pretty manageable.

Worth noting that I was wearing Paramo salopettes with Ron Hills underneath so had very warm legs and a bit of layering round my chest and midriff.

DaveHK 28 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

If you work up a sweat you're better with fleece layers under a hardshell. With nylon layers, like a duvet, under a hardshell sweat condenses on the nylon.

minimike 28 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

Over the years the appropriate gear has been a downie, event, both, neither, and a submarine. But never have I wished I had a ski jacket! 😂 

In reply to huckleberry:

I have never bought or worn a 'ski jacket' in 27 years of (European) skiing; I have always used my outdoor gear.

I started with classic base, fleece, gore-tex, but mostly wear soft shell these days. I carry a lightweight down duvet overlayer in a small MTB daysack for long lifts, or if it gets really cold. Bottoms are base layer or PowerStretch tights and Decathlon Simond Mountaineering Trousers.

Layers are chosen to suit the conditions; can be light PowerDry base layer, or thicker waffle-inner fleece, and various weights of ThermalPro if necessary, followed by MixMaster (sadly, the face:fleece bonding glue that made this 'Goldilocks' breathable has perished, so it is no longer optimal) or ReadyMix uninsulated soft shell jacket.

A 'ski jacket' doesn't have the versatility of layering to suit conditions. I have been down to just lightweight softshell trousers and PowerDry base layer hoodie in Meribel in April week 2...

Post edited at 20:05
 Stairclimber 28 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

I agree with those that recommend not getting a ski jacket, but going with the shell plus layers approach. Save your money and invest in good gloves/mittens, a helmet and goggles. Remember also that you can get very wet going up the mountain on a chairlift when it's raining lower down.

HeMa 28 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

Do you need a ski jacket. No, as is the response rate thus far. Albeit I’d wager that a mid weight fleece will be more handy than the down jacket (unless your vacation happens to be to Finnish Lapland and during a cold spel… when -30 is rather common and makes rather frigid skiing).

but If you plan on skiing a lot, they might start to make sense. Lift Card pockets, goggle pockets and such are nice features… but the main thing is that If you spend a lot of time of the slopes, the skiing apparel will get dirty (grease from the lifts), torn (tree skiing is fun, but If you get it wrong, not that good for gear) and all that kind of stuff. Do separating hiking gear from skiing gear (and Possibly mountaineering gear) might mean that the gear lasts longer. My hiking (lightweight) shell is about 15 years old, and my older skiing shell is also over 10 years old. Both get used a bunch, but had I only the hiking shell, I would Most likely need to replace it every 3 to 5 years (I ski mostly in the trees, or park with some 50+ days a year).

that being said, I got also an insulated shelled skiing jacket from last springs sales… for a whoppin’ 19 Eur price tag. It serves a double duty during nasty fall weather for taking out the dog and Naturally skiing when the temps drop below -15).

so in short, you’ll be fine. But If you plan on doing more skiing (or have an alternative use), then a ”ski” jacket might make sense.

TheGeneralist 28 Dec 2023
In reply to all:

Struggling to workout where you lot ski that you could wear a ski jacket or a duvet!

Aside from Scotland, and a day on powder mountain when I was ill I rarely ski in more than thin polyester climbing trousers, thermal base layer and shells. That is fine down to about minus twelve. If it's sunny then I'll maybe switch to a short sleeved thermal and open the pit zips/ leg zips.

Having said which I run very hot, have dismal technique and tend to always ski off-piste so.....

Oh, and I always carry at least one spare thermal in my rucksack

Post edited at 21:20
 HeMa 28 Dec 2023
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Try inland Canada, USA or even just Finnish Lapland. I’d love to see How long you’d fair say in Pyhä (Finland) some 2 years ago. It was toasty -34 C and about 8m/s of wind. Good times .

TheGeneralist 28 Dec 2023
In reply to HeMa:

> Try inland Canada, USA or even just Finnish Lapland. I’d love to see How long you’d fair say in Pyhä (Finland) some 2 years ago. It was toasty -34 C and about 8m/s of wind. Good times .

I think I'd need to put my fleecy trousers on and possibly even a fleece on top or a Buffalo. 🙂 Like I did in inland USA at Powder Mountain when I wasn't feeling well and it was proper chilly.

I'm impressed you found minus 34 in recent years. I used to ski/ board in fleece leggings and a few layers on top but last couple of decades it just rarely seems to get properly cold. 

OP huckleberry 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Doug:

Hi Doug, I'll be heading over to Austria near Bad Mitterndorf. I've been looking at the weather and it's been relatively steady at around 4°C (39°F) and wind speed of 14 km/h (8.7 m/h). Yeah, I was thinking the same; a good layering system can prepare you for anything!

In reply to Max factor:

Waterproof jackets come in 3 types, 2, 2.5 and 3L (layers). Supposedly they get more "breathable"(lol) and durable (and expensive) as the layers increases. Yeah, a good layering system is more robust!

In reply to TomYoung:

Thanks! A similar setup to what I was planning to bring with me too!

In reply to captain paranoia:

Thank you! I will definitely check all those out!

In reply to Stairclimber:

Yeah, I am not really someone who likes buying all the new tech but more make do with what I have. It's more sustainable. And makes you look less funny when you're doing a multipitch and get overtaken by someone carrying just a chalk bag and wearing a pair of ripped trainers.

P.S. I did notice a slight tear on my ski gloves though so might gorilla tape it over because the pain of water slowly seeping into your gloves is the worst.

In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for another thoughtful reply HeMa! Won't be skiing much this season so I think I'll be fine after seeing all the encouraging comments

In reply to huckleberry:

> Thank you! I will definitely check all those out!

Well, you won't find a MixMaster or ReadyMix, because they are long gone from Patagonia's lineup.

But, above all, I thought the idea was to use stuff you already have. All most people seem to have been doing is pointing out that we do use our 'normal outdoor gear', with examples.

Becky E 31 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

I have never had a specific ski jacket: I've always used what I already have:

I have always worn a Goretex jacket (usually Mountain Equipment) with various layers underneath: any combination long- or short-sleeve merino base layer, fleece (thin or thick depending on conditions), synthetic puffy jacket (usually Arcterryx Nuclei FL).

Exactly what combination depends on the conditions.  But always the waterproof jacket on top, to keep me dry when I inevitably spill.

(I do have ski salopettes, so that they fit over my ski boots and I don't trash any other trousers).

CathS 31 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

I used to have a skiing jacket, but when I went to replace it a few years ago they seemed so ridiculously over-priced that I opted instead for a fairly standard Mountain Equipment goretex jacket (which was less than half the price), under which I wear merino baselayers and a synthetic insulated jacket (Patagonia Nano-puff) or if it's really cold a Rab down jacket.    I've done many weeks of skiing and ski touring with this combo and it's worked well.  Better actually than my old insulated ski jacket, which was too hot in the spring or for ski-touring.     I haven't missed having a powder skirt and lift-pass pocket in the sleeve (the chest pocket works fine for this).

As the previous poster mentioned, I also think it's worth getting good quality proper ski salopettes if you are going to ski regularly.  I've got some Norrona Lofoten pants, which are brilliant.  Very well designed.   But definitely something to buy from Norrona's discount outlet, not at full retail price!

As for gloves, if you want to save some money, look at Gold Leaf Winter Touch gardening gloves.  They are actually made with snowsport insulating materials, at a fraction of the price of 'ski' gloves.

CathS 31 Dec 2023
In reply to huckleberry:

And I am now improvising with my recently purchased Pair Ups running shoe repair kit to patch up tears in my ski gloves and salopettes.   A lot better than gaffer tape or Gorilla tape repairs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...