South London drug slang ……( moan )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 27 Dec 2023

I’m trying very hard not to let on how much it irritates me when my teenage kids use slang that appears to come from south London drug dealers , gang members and drill music  . But :  ……..arrrrrrrrrgggggggg. I’m fairly sure they don’t do so just to annoy me but I cant get my head around the idea that it is in any way cool .

pencilled in 27 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

One runs into problems when attempting to define cool. Probably best to relax a bit. 

plyometrics 27 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

Just start doing the same. I’m sure the novelty will wear off quickly once Dad starts joining in.

Starter pack here: https://language-and-innovation.com/2018/04/19/a-drill-dictionary/

montyjohn 27 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

All hope isn't lost.

Still time to grow up.

Unless they are wearing their belt around their thighs with their arses hanging out. Not sure what hope there is left at this point.

Hooo 27 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

It's always been like this. I remember being annoyed about the other kids doing it when I was at school ( obviously I was never one of the in-crowd). But even as a kid I thought it was pathetic.

It's genuinely sad that too many young people get seduced by the "glamour" of this lifestyle and end up living it for real. I knew a couple from school who went down that road.

I heard a good one from my nephew the other day though - NPC. Non Player Character. It's a background character from a videogame, who doesn't do anything. Used as a derogatory term for someone who is on the fringes and no one notices.

seankenny 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Hooo:

NPC is also one of Dominic Cummings’ buzzwords. You sure your nephew isn’t a secret political nerd with a well disguised dislike of the ECHR?

seankenny 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Hooo:

NPC is also one of Dominic Cummings’ buzzwords. You sure your nephew isn’t a secret political nerd with a well disguised dislike of the ECHR?

Hooo 27 Dec 2023

In reply to seankenny:

Ok ok, I heard you the first time 🙂

But it goes to show that I'm so out of touch with yoof slang that when a yoof quotes Dominic Cummings I think he's talking yoof speak 😂

Post edited at 22:24
In reply to mike123:

You must be the first parent ever that didn't like the hip lingo of the new generation. 

artif 28 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

Welcome to middle age. 

Enjoy the pipe and slippers

wintertree 28 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

Play them a bit of Warren G to educate them on what’s appropriate language that has style and class.  The lingo of the current Sarf London wannabes and the associated music scene is just pathetically sad.

Stichtplate 28 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

We have kind of the opposite problem. Our eldest was brought up in one of Cheshire's leafier settlements and despite being the scion of plebs and the denizen of a box room in an ex council semi, her chosen peer group is full of poshos. Combine this with an early life that included inhaling Enid Blyton's entire oeuvre and you have a creature that sounds like Camilla and dots conversation with stuff like "Gosh" and "My Goodness". This is a vocabulary me and the missus have only experienced through black and white films.

Still, at least she's 18 now and I no longer live in fear of being accused of kidnapping every time we go through customs.

In reply to mike123:

Teach them to speak marra instead eh.

nufkin 28 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

>  I’m fairly sure they don’t do so just to annoy me

Would they be responsive to accusations of cultural appropriation?

Unless they are south London drug dealers and gang members - your OP was unspecific

hang_about 28 Dec 2023
In reply to mike123:

Just copy the language - that should stop them fairly quickly. Nothing like Dad being 'down with the yoof'

OP mike123 28 Dec 2023
In reply to Ennerdaleblonde:

> Teach them to speak marra instead eh.

unfortunately they already do . Eh . Fortunately the majority of them can turn it on and off  . Eh .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...