Harness recommendations with 4 ice screw clippers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jmerrick21 16 Dec 2023

After my last trip to rjukan i came to the conclusion that more than 2 ice screw clippers would be useful. However, having purchased 2 more I realised that my harness only has 2 slots. 

Can people please recommend a good harness with 4 ice screw clipper slots. 

Thanks.

olddirtydoggy 16 Dec 2023
In reply to jmerrick21:

I use clippers that have those wires that wrap round the harness and position themselves between the gear loops without the need for slots, Petzl make them. You're quite right tho, 4 clippers is the right number.

In reply to jmerrick21:

DMM Renegade can take 4 clippers I think (not in the same county as my harness today, so I can't check)

Fellover 16 Dec 2023
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

> DMM Renegade can take 4 clippers I think (not in the same county as my harness today, so I can't check)

It does. I've used one for the last 5ish years, but I don't actually think it's a very good harness compared with some of the more modern ones.

Main plus point is that it does work for everything, having 4 ice clipper slots, adjustable leg loops, ability to centre gear loops, lots of gear loops. I don't think it's that comfy though and is quite heavy.

Maximusf 16 Dec 2023
In reply to jmerrick21:

Arcteryx AR 395a probably is the best for winter/ice I haven't had anything as good, 4 clipper slots, 5 gear loops and hardly any padding. It's still good for summer too.

VictorM 16 Dec 2023
In reply to jmerrick21:

I came to the same conclusion after a couple of weekends ice climbing with just two clippers. I also found out I don't really like the Petzl wire solution, they didn't stay straight on my harness, so I went with the normal caritools and then acquired a harness with four decently spaced clipper slots. Be aware that on some harnesses the clipper slot is very badly placed, effectively taking away space from your gear loops. 

The Mammut Sender Fast Adjust would tick all your boxes. I only see the normal version of the Sender up on Mammut's website though. It's the same except for the adjustable leg loops. You can still find the Fast Adjust on some websites. I like it a lot and it is currently my quiver of one. 

Sharp 16 Dec 2023
In reply to jmerrick21:

Had this conundrum last winter and ended up going for the Mammut Comfort Adjust because it was in the sale and ticked my boxes. It's ok, but not as good at my old Mammut harness and I wish I'd just gone for the Arcteryx AR 395a like everyone advised

OP jmerrick21 16 Dec 2023
In reply to jmerrick21:

Thanks for your suggestions,  I will take a look at some of these options.  

I spotted the Black Diamond Vision airNET as a potential option with 4 ice screw holders. Anyone have any experience with this harness?

GarethSL 16 Dec 2023
In reply to jmerrick21:

Another shout to the AR395a for ice climbing. I find three clippers sufficient as you can fit 5 (even 6) screws easily on the Petzl carritool evo. I keep my 22 on a screwgate with some cord and rack 12-14 screws with two or three up front mostly cause it’s annoying getting stabbed in the leg when stepping up.

You can also do some feng shui with the cord on the Evo to make them fit clipper slots neatly and a bit lower so they don’t sit so high on the harness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...