Best men's boxers!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 06 Dec 2023

I need advice on a crucial piece of safety equipment ... I've been wearing Pringle boxers for years but feel the time has come for a change, there is room for improvement. I always find they chafe if I'm walking a long way, though this could be more to do with my ever-increasing weight rather than the boxers themselves 😂. Nevertheless...

What boxers do you wear / would recommend?

Enty 06 Dec 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:

For sport? Running, walking, climbing? These are brilliant and only 8€:

https://www.decathlon.fr/p/boxer-de-running-homme-respirant/_/R-p-121488?mc...

E

Doug 06 Dec 2023

for winter in the hills & forests  I like Decathlon merino boxers ( https://www.decathlon.fr/p/sous-vetement-boxer-en-laine-merinos-de-trek-mon... ).Bought a pair to try & was pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable they were compared to something in cotton or synthetic material.  I now have a couple of pairs.

edit to add -just seen Enty's post, the merino boxers are much warmer than those so better suited to mid winter - I'll be wearing them when I go out skiing later this morning but its -8°.

Post edited at 08:45
 AlanLittle 06 Dec 2023

I have a couple of pairs of Reebok synthetic boxer briefs that I got from TKMaxx for pennies. I do 90% plus of my mountain-related activities in them. 

I also have some fancy expensive ones from some big name ski wear manufacturer (don't recall which one off hand) that only come out of the cupboard when it's seriously cold.

Enty 06 Dec 2023
In reply to Doug:

I'm going to have a look at those for the colder days.

E

midgen 06 Dec 2023

Under Armor Boxer Jocks. Flat seams and snug fit, no chafe. 

In reply to midgen:

Yup, the under armour ones are great.

top cat 06 Dec 2023

The Decathlon merinos are going to be problematic when you need to pee wearing a harness.

The Montane merinos have the required relief slot.....☺

Big fan of Saxx, the ball park pouch is an enlightening experience!

Post edited at 09:17
 Tony the Blade 06 Dec 2023

Decathlon Merino or Boxere for the long walk.

Oddballs or Björn Borg for the day-to-day.

abcdef 06 Dec 2023

chafing is probably from movement, so standard boxers seems daft to me - you want something closer fitted.

can really recommend merino for staying fresh (think mine are icebreaker and smartwool). make sure they have a tiny bit of lycra though or they just feel too shapeless.

CameronDuff14 06 Dec 2023

M&S and Sainsbury's do a style called 'trunks', which are like tighter fitting and stretchy boxer. Very comfy, I wear 'em every day.

Graeme G 06 Dec 2023

Boxers??? How old are you??? This isn’t the 80’s. You’re not Nick Kamen. The world has moved on, particularly when everyone realised boxers are completely wrong as underwear. 

OP elliot.baker 06 Dec 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

Maybe I am using the wrong word and am actually wearing the right underwear already? ...

Please tell me what the right underwear is! I'm open to suggestions

Andypeak 06 Dec 2023
In reply to top cat:

The Decathlon merinos are going to be problematic when you need to pee wearing a harness.

Never had that issue with any boxers. I never use the fly and its really not an issue

Graeme G 06 Dec 2023

Thongs.....obviously

nathan79 06 Dec 2023

Another happy user of Under Armour boxerjocks. I've yet to find anything better. Available in a variety of lengths too. I wear them for everyday use, sport and hillwalking.

I tried Saxx on the recommendation if a friend who swears by them. I don't find them comfortable at all. I bought them on sale so at least that's something.

I also tried the Decathlon pair suggested earlier, as with a lot of Decathlon stuff the sizing is crazy. I bought an XL and an XXL pair and think I'd need at least XXL to be comfortable (compared to L in the Under Armours). They're short in the leg so I'd end up with red raw thighs if I walked any distance in them.

GarethSL 06 Dec 2023

Mons Royale Hold 'em

Been my go to for years, for everyday, climbing and expeditions. Absolutely brilliant.

CantClimbTom 06 Dec 2023

Strangely...  Needlesports still haven't sold out of their Buffalo Supporters stock, they still have one in every size. If it's climbing specific underwear you are after (a niche product) then checkout...

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Clothing-Footwear/Technical-Clothing...

I'm kind of disappointed Wideboys haven't started selling crack underwear, with a rubber pads on the cheeks for some sort of offwidth inverted bum hang by severe clenching, perhaps to enable new beta on Silence. Maybe that's going to be their breakthrough product for next year?  It couldn't be worse that those supporters

Hope you're glad you posted on a public forum about wanting new underwear, I mean there was a risk some random internet weirdo could have replied with a bizarre link. Enjoy...

Luke01 06 Dec 2023

I went for step one - https://uk.stepone.life/

Never looked back, I now refuse to wear anything else. Not cheap, but you're (and your balls are) worth it. 

Graeme G 06 Dec 2023

Having followed up on your OP I can see you’re being conned by false labelling. The Pringle Boxers are more akin to trunks, not the god awful boxers we used to wear back in the day.

I’d still suggest thongs though.

Post edited at 13:14
 TobyA 06 Dec 2023

I've got a number of the Decathlon synthetic running ones - thought I had found the gold standard (they are incredibly light and rather cheap) but on a three day hike I started getting soreness from chafing a bit like saddle sores when cycling - using them. It might have been the weather (hot and sweaty) or something like that rather than the shorts but I've never been completely happy with them since. I bought a couple of pairs of Alpkit FKT shorts since, and so far they have been great https://alpkit.com/products/fkt-boxers-mens-moisture-wicking-underwear?vari... More expensive but a nicer feeling material, and so far no chafing.

With merino ones be aware, pure merino can be very weak. I wear though the crotch area of merino long johns very readily. 

oscaig 06 Dec 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

I got a few pairs of Alpkit FKT Boxers (again they're trunks not actually boxers) after the waistband finally went on my old and much abused outdoor grundies. Have just used them on a 10 day trip climbing and walking every day in +30 degrees temperatures and can confirm that they were brilliant - comfortable and didn't get sweaty, didn't rub or itch once.    

Jordan-L 06 Dec 2023

Try Bawbags. They have either "bawganic" cotton, or "cool de sacs" material which incorporates "T.W.A.T" which apparently stands for "technical wicking active technology" or something similar. 

Despite all the "dad joke" comedy, I like the boxers, and they donate some of their profit to cancer charities. I also have a couple of their base layers. 

Post edited at 13:41
 tehmarks 06 Dec 2023

Army surplus (new, ideally) undershort. They've been my go-to underwear for about seven years now, 'daily life' and hill life, because they're both remarkably comfortable and remarkably cheap.

Graeme G 06 Dec 2023
In reply to TobyA:

> With merino ones be aware, pure merino can be very weak. I wear though the crotch area of merino long johns very readily. 

Totally agree. My Icebreaker trunks are brilliant. But beginning to be totally see through 

Lhod 06 Dec 2023
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> Big fan of Saxx, the ball park pouch is an enlightening experience!

This! 

Lonsdale trunks from Sports Direct, two for a tenner or whatever. Stretchy, supportive, well-fitting and breathable enough. Nothing fancy but they're totally fine for walking, climbing etc. Amazes me how much folk will spend on pants.

OP elliot.baker 06 Dec 2023

ha so many replies clearly an issue close to peoples' hearts, thanks all.

I think the issue is I have clearly not bought enough boxers in recent times, so am staggered by the costs. I am definitely getting old. I'll try the most expensive and most cheap from the suggestions and see how I get on! I ideally want "one boxer to rule them all" for both hillwalking and day-to-day, rather than have to decide what to wear on a given day. If I could get away with wearing Nike's 5" running shorts all the time I wouldn't have this worry, but not sure it would be accepted in the office, or enjoyable in this current weather.

😂

Rampart 06 Dec 2023

>  Please tell me what the right underwear is

Pringles cans, per your OP.

Get a very New Guinea vibe going.

Billhook 06 Dec 2023

> ha so many replies clearly an issue close to peoples' hearts, thanks all.

>
> 😂

I’d suggest it’s an issue closer to peoples dangly bits.

In reply to Billhook:

I got two packs of new balance short leg trunks from TK max, about £20 for 4 pairs I seem to remember. 92% polyester, 8% spandex, so very smooth and close fiting and are comfortable for any activity.

I love them for minimalist packing, as you can wash/rinse and wear and they absorbe so little that they are dry within 20 mins of putting them back on.

Also had some of the pringle (sports wear company not the addictive crisp manufacturer) trunks from TK max for a similar price, they have more cotton so aren't as quick drying. They often seem to have some of the posher pant brands in as well, if you are looking to impress the ladies, for half the price you will pay in a mans fashion outlet.

nathan79 06 Dec 2023

I genuinely viewed it as my life quest to find the perfect pants 😄

The Under Armours were a revelation as the one boxer to rule them all you speak of. They last too. My oldest pairs are from 2018 and still in great shape (unlike me!).

Now my hunt is for the perfect other type of pants aka the trouser.

midgen 06 Dec 2023

I have accumulated my collection of UA boxer jocks over a couple of years, picking them up in sales. Now wear nothing else, they last forever so work out cheap in the long run anyway! 

Get a pair that matches the groom's?

Sealwife 06 Dec 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Strangely...  Needlesports still haven't sold out of their Buffalo Supporters stock, they still have one in every size. If it's climbing specific underwear you are after (a niche product) then checkout...

They’ve now sold out of the M and XL……

EdS 06 Dec 2023

Danish endurance. 

Cotton for everyday and the sports boxer for climbing and caving etc. 

Wick well and comfy when soaking wet. 

https://danishendurance.com/collections/mens-underwear

rj_townsend 07 Dec 2023
In reply to Enty:

> For sport? Running, walking, climbing? These are brilliant and only 8€:

> E

I've about a million pairs of these - best pants ever!

I used to wear M&S Microskin trunks, but they switched design/source, and the sizes changed.

So I tried some I saw in a Banggood emailshot. The first lot were too small (and were replaced FOC), but I eventually settled on Asian 2XL, which fits my M&S S figure... I see they are available from Amazon, with a note to say size selection has been adjusted to European (with S=2XL).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zuku-Life-Silk-Boxer-Briefs/dp/B0765QLG1T

Not exactly Brinje mesh, but they have lasted well, and I find them comfortable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...