Aconcagua mules

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SWSW3000 19 Nov 2023

Are you planning on heading to Aconcagua anytime soon?

Please be aware of the plight of the mules who work the mountain.

According to the Cuyunche Foundation, this cruel trend occurs every year, with mules succumbing under the burden of heavy loads while climbing the 6000m mountain, crossing frigid glacial waters and enduring long, painful deaths. Many surviving mules bear nasty open blisters on their sweaty backs which can get infected and cause tremendous pain.

All just to carry the heavy baggage of international tourists up and down the mountain, so the solution is in their hands.

Tourists could save the lives of hundreds of mules, if they were aware of these cruel working conditions and demanded humane treatment for these animals.

The Cuyunche Foundation reached out to the biggest outdoors, alpine and climbing magazines in Europe and North America to warn their subscribers about the plight of the Aconcagua mules before visiting. They are still waiting to hear from the publishers.

Meanwhile, if you are an outdoorsy person, please write to your own magazine editor!

(via Gerado Huertas, LinkedIn)

Moacs 19 Nov 2023
In reply to SWSW3000:

Just a moment please?

Not sure where you got your info?  Have you been to Puente del Inca yourself?

I have.    What I found was arrieros that care about their animals.  After all if they don't, and harm the burros, it kills their livelihood.  Ours had strict rules on weight and only went from Puente to the base camp (Plaza de mulas) and back.

Plaza de mulas is a bit under 4400m - and the donkeys are well acclimatised.

So yes, I agree, ask your arriero about the schedule and the weight and rest days for the mule.  But don't tar all arrieros as animal abusers.  They're not.

Lankyman 19 Nov 2023
In reply to Moacs:

My mule don't like people laughing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...