A hat? Help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stujamo 12 Nov 2023

Usually when out walking I’ll take two hats, a beanie and something with a peak. The peak is great for the low winter sun, so I’d like one that covers my ears too. What would people recommend? The Montane insulated cap looks too warm and isn’t waterproof, so that one’s out.

TIA

Stu

In reply to stujamo:

A Lowe alpine mountain cap or similar. I've got the trekmates equivalent.

PaulJepson 12 Nov 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

If you want warm and peaked then this is the one. 

In reply to stujamo:

If you're short of hats, Ilkley Moor is said to be a pretty good place to go!

leon 1 12 Nov 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

I thought that they'd barred hats ?

Post edited at 19:41

> I've got the trekmates equivalent.

I have a TrekMates one, styled like the LA Mountain Cap, but which uses a micropile lining, rather than fleece. I have the LA, too, but I find it too warm.

Many years ago, I made my own out of double-layer Karisma (aka Ultrafleece). Sadly, it got left behind in a ski chalet in 1997 when I got hospitalised... I might make a replacement some day...

Four panel body, with 'lid' and small peak (I don't like 'baseball cap' style large peaks). Also had tails at the side with Velcro fastening under the chin, though I would leave those off if I made another...

In reply to stujamo:

That marmite brand, Paramo, do a waterproof one. As it uses their pump liner it is suitable for cooler/cold weather. I used to use one for many years of hillwalking and from plus temps down to at least - 15°C. In warmer weather the ear/neck flap was tucked up underneath.

Post edited at 19:56
OP stujamo 12 Nov 2023

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look 🙂👍🏻

OP stujamo 12 Nov 2023
In reply to John Stainforth:

😂

OP stujamo 12 Nov 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Cheers, I’ll have a look 🙂👍🏻

In reply to captain paranoia:

> I have a TrekMates one, styled like the LA Mountain Cap, but which uses a micropile lining

Doesn't look like they still do it; just a fleece-lined GTX thing now.

petegunn 12 Nov 2023
In reply to stujamo:

I've got one of the extremities mountain caps not sure on the model but it's a bit like this:

https://outdoorgear.co.uk/extremities-ice-cap-hat/?sku=471809-01--BC-506065...

Waterproof, windproof and has a fleece type liner, mine also has a cord to go under the chin in very windy weather and the peak is wired - it's a good cap and has it many years

Post edited at 23:49
OP stujamo 13 Nov 2023
In reply to petegunn:

Cheers Pete, I’ll take a look 🙂👍🏻

Flinticus 18 Nov 2023
In reply to stujamo:

If I want waterproof I'll use my jacket hood. Otherwise it's a peaked cap with a buff underneath. That adds warmth and covers the ears. Plus either one can be removed if unnecessary.

Bulls Crack 21 Nov 2023
In reply to leon 1:

> I thought that they'd barred hats ?

Chapeau! 

In reply to stujamo:

I've still got a few of my hand knitted Fair Isle hat available. Made in 2 ply Shetland wool in the round. Price £46.50 including p&p.

Toerag 23 Nov 2023
In reply to stujamo:

I have a craghopper one that looks like a Lowe mountain cap. I'd suggest the peak isn't worth having as its so small, the popper that holds it up digs into your head when you wear a headtorch, and the waterproofing & microbungee failed long ago, but it's a good 'trashing hat' to wear when you need something windproof that you don't mind getting mucky.

OP stujamo 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Toerag: that’s a good point about the peak, thanks 🙂👍🏻

OP stujamo 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Flinticus: I think this might be way forward for me, cheers 🙂👍🏻

RX-78 01 Dec 2023
In reply to stujamo:

Once had a lovely knitted hat that covered the ears and with a peak, made by burton, for skiing before helmets became all the rage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...