Rope recall - Decathlon Simond Edge (9 mm x 80 m or 9 mm x 100 m)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to climber73:

Why only the 80m and 100m?

Ian Parsons 08 Nov 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> Why only the 80m and 100m?

Possibly that a problem has been identified in a particular production 'run' - which was only used for making those two lengths. Would explain, too, why it only applies to the pink ones [I think that's what 'red' means - and I notice that the colour is only mentioned in one of the notices].

This is, of course, speculation. IANARM.

Post edited at 00:07
 Ian Parsons 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

< [.... and I notice that the colour is only mentioned in one of the notices].

Although that's probably specified in the model and item codes.

Edited to correct punctuation - obviously!

Post edited at 01:11
 gethin_allen 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Shows that they have good record keeping and the value of such records in the case of a failure. 

Iamgregp 08 Nov 2023
In reply to climber73:

Simmond/Decathlon's line: "Although this rope complies with current standards, it does not meet our quality requirements and our commitment to ensuring maximum safety for climbers."

Whilst on Gov.uk "The product does not meet the requirements of the Personal Protective Equipment (Enforcement) Regulations 2018 and Regulation (EU) 2016/425 on personal protective equipment."

I'm guessing that both of these statements can be technically true (can they?), the do give very different impressions don't they?

In reply to Iamgregp:

That's interesting. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but presumably the relevant standard is EN892. Does that include a cut resistance test? What does the PPE regulations reference if it's not the EN?

galpinos 08 Nov 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> That's interesting. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but presumably the relevant standard is EN892.

It is.

> Does that include a cut resistance test?

It does not.

> What does the PPE regulations reference if it's not the EN?

This does seem odd!

wbo2 08 Nov 2023
In reply to climber73: Regulation (EU)?

Got to laugh... But I guess it just hasn't been replaced yet? I thought there was a time limit?

spenser 08 Nov 2023
In reply to galpinos:

The referenced regulation doesn't call out any ENs directly, it just says that the product needs to undergo a "relevant conformity assessment" in clause 5.2 (to avoid having to reissue the regulation if standards are broken up or upissued I guess).

I am now confused as I thought that there was an indefinite delay to mandatory UKCA marking rather than CE marking, unless the wording just hasn't been updated to reflect the indefinite delay (they really have made a total pigs ear of legislation following Brexit).

In reply to Iamgregp:

> Whilst on Gov.uk...

... they refer to 'Simmond'...

Ian Parsons 08 Nov 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > Whilst on Gov.uk...

> ... they refer to 'Simmond'...

Indeed; although it appears correctly at the head of that page. I assume it was simply carelessness on the part of whoever was filling in the relevant form.

The rope itself is, of course, 8,9mm - not the 9mm quoted in both notices.

Post edited at 16:21
 Iamgregp 08 Nov 2023
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thought it looked wrong when I read that, but I went ahead and repeated their mistake when I posted!  Should have trusted my instinct!

FactorXXX 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Indeed; although it appears correctly at the head of that page. I assume it was simply carelessness on the part of whoever was filling in the relevant form.

Simond is the brand of rope and Decathlon own Simond.
So, both are sort of correct, but if you Google 'Decathlon Climbing Ropes' you will get a drop down menu from the resultant page of various brands of which Simond is one and Decathlon isn't.

Ian Parsons 08 Nov 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Simond is the brand of rope and Decathlon own Simond.

> So, both are sort of correct, but if you Google 'Decathlon Climbing Ropes' you will get a drop down menu from the resultant page of various brands of which Simond is one and Decathlon isn't.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Captain P had pointed out that Simond appears as 'Simmond' on the linked gov.uk page [in the 'Product information' section]. I added the observation that the name is printed correctly - ie 'Simond' - at the head of the same page.

FactorXXX 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> Perhaps I wasn't clear. Captain P had pointed out that Simond appears as 'Simmond' on the linked gov.uk page [in the 'Product information' section]. I added the observation that the name is printed correctly - ie 'Simond' - at the head of the same page.

Fair enough, my mistake...

nikoid 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Ian Parsons:

> This is, of course, speculation. IANARM.

Does that mean "I am not a real man" Ian? That's a new acronym on me! 😂

Ramon Marin 10 Nov 2023
In reply to climber73:

I got one of those, 80m version, and it's a workhorse, one of the best ropes I've ever had. The sheath hasn't worn out yet so I must have bought it before those dates.

Fraser 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

I've had the same experience as you, with both the 80m and the 100m, although the latter hasn't seen as much use as the 80.

remus Global Crag Moderator 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> I got one of those, 80m version, and it's a workhorse, one of the best ropes I've ever had. The sheath hasn't worn out yet so I must have bought it before those dates.

Similar here. I had one that's had a lot of use and held up really well, especially for a fairly skinny rope. Mine was within the recall dates though, so of course being a good, god fearing man I returned it for a full refund.

In reply to remus:

Another good experience here. One fluffy spot, but nothing worse than I'd expect for the amount of work it's done 

jon 04 Dec 2023
In reply to remus:

Me too. Really hard wearing, despite a ropey start...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...