Clip on belay specs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 30 Oct 2023

I'm interested in getting some clip-on belay specs, the sort that clip to glasses, but the only make I can find is Y&Y, and they're quite expensive at £55 or so. I thought I'd get some user opinions before I take the plunge. Any good? Do they last?

Thanks

Pedro50 31 Oct 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

My wall partner and I both use them, they're pretty good. The silicone bits to  hold them on your ears are excellent as they are a bit front heavy. Would recommend.

Mark Kemball 31 Oct 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

I find wearing belay glasses on top of my normal glasses works fine for me. (Not that there was a clip on option when I bought them about 10 years ago.) This also has the advantage that I can slide them down my nose and look over the top until the climber gets to the second clip. 

Pedro50 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Mark Kemball:

>  This also has the advantage that I can slide them down my nose and look over the top until the climber gets to the second clip. 

Thr Y&Y clip-ons can be tilted upwards out of the way and then deployed downwards as required for the same purpose.

jon 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> The silicone bits to  hold them on your ears are excellent as they are a bit front heavy.

Just googled these, but I can't see the silicone bits? They look like they just clip to the glasses...

Pedro50 31 Oct 2023
In reply to jon:

I probably didn't explain it very well. The clip ons come with bits to hold the actual specs securely.

jon 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

OK thanks.

AdrianWalter 31 Oct 2023
In reply to bpmclimb: my wife uses clip on belay specs and finds they work well but the extra weight makes them feel unstable so she uses a headband or buff to make them secure.

Phil Mercer 31 Oct 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've used them for a few years now and would definitely recommend. Just a slight 80's clip on sunglasses look about them! The flip up function is really useful and I use the little silicone ear grips for climbing too.

Rampart 31 Oct 2023
In reply to bpmclimb:

I've not seen his clip-on ones, but CU's framed belay glasses are good (and more elegant than the Y&Y ones):

https://cu-belayglasses.com/cu-shop/

Fraser 01 Nov 2023
In reply to Rampart:

Not only are they more elegant, they're simply a better designed and engineered product. I bought a pair of the YY glasses but using them was a noticeably poorer experience than with the CU model. Each has their place in the market but the CU glasses are definitely superior. 

Pedro50 01 Nov 2023
In reply to Fraser:

Do they make clip-ons?

Fraser 01 Nov 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I don't know, sorry. I bought my CU ones several years ago and don't wear regular glasses while I'm belaying. 

Pedro50 01 Nov 2023
In reply to galpinos:

Thanks 😊 

Fraser 14 Nov 2023
In reply to galpinos:

I just wanted to resurrect this thread and post about the excellent customer service I've just experienced from Power 'n Play (the CU belay glasses supplier in Germany).

I emailed them the other day, having lost one of the rubber sleeves that goes on the metal arm of their belay glasses, to ask about buying a replacement. This morning I received a full pack of replacement parts, including the sleeve I'd originally enquired about, free of charge. It was an excellent, speedy and friendly service from the team at P'nP, so a big shout out to them with my thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...