Another Walking pole discussion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Having owned several adjustable walking poles which all eventually fail, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

I like the idea of fixed poles, but I walk with about 120cm length poles and sometimes use the Lanshan2 which prefers about 110-120cm pole length, so they do have to be adjustable. 

Would prefer lightweight, but wondring if all adjustable mechs eventually fail, am I better going with cheaper versions and replacing every couple of years.

Thoughts Please

AlanLittle 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Simon Holden (LCandCC):

I've permanently given up on twistlocks, but my Leki carbons with flick locks have never given me any trouble in ten years of fairly heavy use.

veteye 26 Sep 2023

I like my Alpine Carbon poles. I like the Black Diamond locking mechanism. I still have a solitary pole (other lost) from when I went to Alaska in 2005, also BD, and the locking mechanism still works.

The Alpine Carbon poles are not cheap, but hopefully they are going to be not lost or stolen, and will be around for a long time.

Connor Nunns 26 Sep 2023

Thirding other comments to say BD flick lock poles work well for me, I did bend them recently falling over but managed to straighten them enough to work again.

Robert Durran 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Connor Nunns:

> Thirding other comments to say BD flick lock poles work well for me.

Or the same mechanism on Decathlon ones at a fraction of the price.

Fraser 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

I've a pair of carbon, twist-lock Decathlon ones that are generally very reliable with only occasional slippage. They're maybe 7-8 years old and I've been happy enough with them although to be fair, they don't get a huge amount of use. 

My experience of cheapo poles has not been good, but I have been very pleased with my alloy Leki Legacy poles, not the lightest but the quality and strength of build is a world apart, and I have even managed to straighten one of the end sections after a fall.

Diddy 26 Sep 2023

I have used other poles but recommend Pacerpoles; I have used them over many miles. I have no links with the brand.

In reply to Diddy:

I have heard good things about pacerpoles, but surely the handle design renders them unsuitable for use with a trekking pole tent?

In reply to Diddy:

I'd second that, the Pacerpole handle ergonomics are light years ahead of anything else widely available. The standard models have a twistlock, but it doesn't seem as prone to locking up/slipping as many. There's a lever-lock model too but that's definitely not compact.

On the downside, they're none as compact when collapsed as many lightweight designs, so if it's a climbing day when i'll end up stashing poles in my pack at some point I tend to go with something else. For actually walking with, though, they're the business.

Disclaimer: I do know the owner/inventor. But she hasn't paid me to be nice.

Toerag 26 Sep 2023

What adjustable mechs have failed on you? I only ask as my Leki Makalus with twistlocks are about 20 years old and don't give me any problems. I always lock them shut so they don't fall apart in transit though.

random_watcher 26 Sep 2023

Another vote for Black Diamond poles with flickock mechs here. I have a pair of aluminium trail poles which are probably 7-8 years old with a fair amount of use with no issues. Replacement mid and lower sections are available as are replacement locking mechanisms which is nice.

I also use them to pitch an X-Mid tent with no issues.

angry pirate 26 Sep 2023
In reply to Toerag:

My Leki Makalus survived 20ish years of use and abuse until muggins here left them at the jetty at the top of Loch Lomond after getting really ill on an abortive attempt at the WHW.

I've since tried other, cheaper models (which have failed really quickly or are devoid of spares) before settling on some new Lekis, Khumbas iirc. They have the lever lock thing which seems better in the wet than twist lock (my Makalus would slowly shorten in damp conditions)

If I don't leave them somewhere daft I'm hoping for another 20+ years out of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...