Updated info required: Training as a Mountain Leader

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ella Morris 25 Sep 2023

Hello,

I was thinking about training as a Mountain Leader  as a supplementary income. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who is doing this job already who can give me some advice. What is the earning potential? What’s it like to do this job? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Is it hard to find work?

For reference I can see there are a few threads on this already but they’re all pretty old so it would be great to get some advice on what conditions on the ground are like for ML’s right now.

Thanks! 

In reply to Ella Morris:

Lots and lots of DofE work available, especially at weekends, through March-July and September-October but usually means walking around, e.g.,  Surrey or Oxfordshire rather than real mountain work. Generally £130-170/day depending on provider & whether nighttime work included. Long but fairly easy days teaching young people. 

Less predictably there is work on 'real' mountain stuff - 3 peaks, Yorkshire 3 peaks, charity ascents etc - but not easy to find regular work unless you are doing it full time. 

annieman 25 Sep 2023
In reply to Ella Morris:

Yes there is work out there, as above, if you'd like to be sharing your skills with the next generation then DofE, around London and the South East is the way to go. There is more DofE around but not so dense on the ground. Gold expeds, generally go to the Wild Country areas but those are sparse on the ground. It takes time to build up a network that will provide sufficient income. Down sides: It's not great for family life as the majority of work takes place at the weekend, can be long days, sleeping in a tent (before you upgrade to a van). There is also different types of work, Spent many Augusts supporting London to Paris cycle rides. Winter, for me, was parcel delivery or postman. Better than an office job but I wouldn't like to support a family and mortgage on the income unless you take a job in a centre. Enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...