GEAR NEWS: Adventures For Kids - a gritstone bouldering guide for children and their parents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 22 Sep 2023

At last, children can be set free to get stuck into grit bouldering on their own terms without having to battle with adult sized problems and all they need is this new guidebook from Future Primitive Publishing.

Read more

Andypeak 22 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Probably suits my level of bouldering far more than any other guides 

In reply to UKC Gear:

Is this any good?

TobyA 27 Sep 2023
In reply to RunClimbCircuit:

I also wondered this, and I nearly went last weekend to Hathersage to grab a copy from Outside, but ended up further south in the Peak. I presume is so new not many people have got a copy yet so no user reviews yet.

I don't know if the publisher offered one for UKC to review, if they do want to - I'm happy to review it. I live in the right area and have a six year old who just the other night said (in that completely random 6 year old way) "I want to go bouldering". Of course it was about half an hour before sunset and it was drizzling, so not really the ideal time, but he seems keen now post- a brief go at bouldering in Font this summer.

ChrisBrooke 27 Sep 2023
In reply to TobyA:

You should have taken him. What could have been a better intro to British climbing than lamping in the rain…. 
More seriously, I’m going to pick up a copy next time I’m in Outside. I take my two (8,6) tradding in the Peak fairly often but some boulder suggestions with added activities/nature spotting etc sounds like fun. Incidentally, went to the wall of diffs next to Renaissance at Baslow the other day with them for the first time and had some success. Fun to combine with cycling past the Eagle Stone to make an afternoon of it. Recommended. 

Post edited at 17:56
 Mr Fuller 27 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

Well psyched for dinosaurs on guidebook covers.

TobyA 27 Sep 2023
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Can't go wrong with a cartoon t-rex can you?

ChrisBrookes:

I've taken my older kids to that wall at Baslow when they were little, and the little one has been there more recently as well. My oldest did his first trad lead (he never really got into climbing so it might be his only trad lead!) on pre placed gear on the nice Mod that is on the other side of Renaissance. The other place that we've always found fun with the kids is Higgar for all the squirmy tunnels and chimneys to discover alongside boulders to scramble up.

ChrisBrooke 27 Sep 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Very cool. My boy enjoyed that very Mod as well 👍

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 28 Sep 2023
In reply to UKC Gear:

I really like this idea... nice one guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...