Changing sole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 04 Aug 2023

I have a pair of Altra trail shoes which have the slippiest sole in existence,( they slip on damp tarmac, damp rock is like ice) which is quite inconvenient. I was thinking about getting them resoled with something a bit better, perhaps a vibram zegama. They don’t have much sole wear at the moment, they are quite a soft shoe but the uppers fit very well and with a better sole I suspect they might work well as a scrambling shoe. 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience doing similar? Does resoling work on soft trail shoes? I’ve had good results with my rock shoes so am hopeful.

Marek 04 Aug 2023
In reply to echo34:

I've certainly had fell running shoes resoled with no problems. As long as the mid sole is in decent nick you should be OK. Long time ago though, so I can't remember who did it. Possibly Pete Bland in the Lake District?

GraB 04 Aug 2023
In reply to echo34:

I had a pair of Hoka Challengers resoled with a vibram Zegama sole a couple of years ago. Not for the same reasons you're looking at but to extend the life of the shoe. They were great and the resole itself (Cheshire Shoe repairs) was also great. THe Zegama unit itself has very good friction, but soft and wears fairly quickly as a result. But by the time the resole was worn out the uppers were really worn out too. So, yes, overall I would recommend the Zegama for what you're after as long as you're realistic about their life.  

gooberman-hill 05 Aug 2023
In reply to echo34:

I have had several pairs of Hokas resoled with a fell sole by Lancashire Sports Repairs to create what a mate described as "FrankenHokas". You need to wear them round town for a week or so to take the rubber spikes down a bit, but after that they are just awesome on steep, wet or muddy ground.

Post edited at 08:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...