Inexpensive running shorts that don't chafe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 27 Jul 2023

I've always worn Nike's 13cm flex stride running shorts and found them to be almost perfect, but every year they change them and now they've changed them to a particular fabric that I don't think I like the look of (it's one of their dri-fit fabrics and I have it on a vest and find it very clingy and sweaty). On top of this they're £45 a piece, even with discounts you're not going to get below £35 a pair.

Is this just what running shorts cost these days? 

Can anyone recommend any other (ideally inexpensive) brands I can look at for shorts? I'd want a zip key pocket and a normal pocket.

Same Q for vests. Again Nike have discontinued my favourite vest and their current running ones are £45-55!! Insane, surely!

tony 27 Jul 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:

Try Wiggle or sportsshoes.com. They have good ranges for considerbly less than £45. However, your need for a normal pocket is a bit of an outlier, so you have problems with that - sportsshoes.com have a filter for pockets which might help. 

SouthernSteve 27 Jul 2023

More Mile Mens 5 inch Baggy Running Shorts have been kind to me. 

Michael Hood 27 Jul 2023

Karrimor at Sports Direct - cheap - if they're not right you won't have lost much.

girlymonkey 27 Jul 2023

Keep an eye on Facebook marketplace/ vinted/ eBay etc. People sell second hand kit all the time and it will cost much less and be better for the environment too!

deepsoup 27 Jul 2023

Are you anywhere near a branch of Decathlon?  I have a couple of pairs of these and really like them in hot weather: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-dry-550-breathable-2-in-1-running-short...

Neil Williams 28 Jul 2023

With me, compression shorts (any will do) are essential to prevent chafe.  Any shorts can go over the top for modesty.

Garethza 28 Jul 2023

Patagonia running shorts are great and have all the pockets you need. They are not the cheapest but you can get them on sale for about £40. Well worth it for the comfort and carrying ability!

JanBella 28 Jul 2023

Ronhill running shorts always worked from me. From being chafed on every run to no chafing in 2 years. Any of their twin shorts will do. 

Sean Kelly 28 Jul 2023
In reply to JanBella:

> Ronhill running shorts always worked from me. From being chafed on every run to no chafing in 2 years. Any of their twin shorts will do. 

Echo that. Brilliant for hillwalking too.

raussmf 28 Jul 2023

I wear generic £8 adidas short for running. Mostly in the hills / fells races / the odd 50K. Is there a benefit to specific running shorts? 

OP elliot.baker 28 Jul 2023
In reply to JanBella:

by twin shorts do we mean the type that have tight undershorts that cover your upper thighs and crotch, rather than the "brief" type (or whatever they're called)?

I do have a pair of Nike twin shorts if that's what it means, but I find that on runs longer than 10k they do chafe, and also that they're a bit too hot for summer.

I'll check out some of these other brands and shops though thanks all.

The New NickB 28 Jul 2023
In reply to raussmf:

Comfort, weight, chaffing.

I have a few pairs of cheap (£7) decathlon running shorts, which would great except if running more than a few miles, they tend to chafe. A short compression short underneath eliminates that, but this can be too warm and uncomfortable in the summer.

My preference these days are some Patagonia running shorts (Strider Pro 5”), which a really nice but we’re very expensive, some innov8 ones which were quite expensive, but not too bad in a sale and some Montane ones which are also quite expensive.

Its a part of my body that I am keen to look after.

deepsoup 28 Jul 2023

> by twin shorts do we mean the type that have tight undershorts..

Best ignore my suggestion then!  (Well - the specific shorts.  If you want cheap and good it might still well be worth checking out Decathlon's own-brand offerings.)

abcdef 28 Jul 2023

do you mean the 2-in-1 shorts? thats all i wear running, and never had a chafing issue with any distance/temp.

certainly the past year or two the undershorts are now of a thinner material that i don't like as much (not as supportive), but they are still fine to wear.

as for cost - i have never bought at full price. got some real bargains on ebay

wbo2 28 Jul 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:I can be outlier that's been chafed by 2 in 1 shorts, by Salomon

I've just bought a bunch of adidas agrivac which are a pretty basic short for 'not cold weather'.  I already have a couple pairs from Adi that have lasted 10 years (?) which is ridiculous so I think the new ones will outlive me.

I had a friend sponsored by Ron Hill and that stuff is NOT good quality. Don't kid yoursleves.

I would personally forget Patagonia,North Face, Rab and all the other new brands and go straight to Adidas

SouthernSteve 28 Jul 2023
In reply to wbo2:

I like the Salomon ones, but they are definitely not cheap - but rather too hot for the summer, even the lighter weight ones. 

Wainers44 28 Jul 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Echo that. Brilliant for hillwalking too.

Ditto, Ronhills. Never had an issue while wearing them, lightweight, cheap, and pretty durable. 

Post edited at 23:20
 mike123 29 Jul 2023
In reply to elliot.baker: if your profile location  is correct get yourself to the rab factory shop - I got a pair a couple of months ago for next to nowt , super lightweight, super cheap . Usual random sizes and a rather fetching snot green . Probably sold out now but I d hazard a guess it’s not what most people are going there to buy so maybe not ?

Post edited at 08:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...