Which boots please. Himalayas winter up to 5000m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cloudwalker13 18 Jul 2023

Boots for trekking himalayas in winter 

Can anyone recommend a boot?

So many to choose from.  So many too heavy or not warm enough......h

OP Cloudwalker13 18 Jul 2023
In reply to Cloudwalker13:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

joe j 19 Jul 2023

Where exactly and which month?

hokkyokusei 19 Jul 2023

Whatever anyone recommends, it's important to try them on. A good fit is half the battle! 

Are you anywhere near Outside in Hathersage? If so, give them a call and pay a visit when they have an experienced boot fitter available. Have had three pairs of boots from them and thoroughly recommend them!

* Actually four pairs, but one was just ordinary hiking boots.

Post edited at 19:06
 John Cuthbert 19 Jul 2023

So as you've noted, warmth is super key. Most of the B1 boots, though comfy, they wont be warm enough, especially if you're in Autumn/Winter and wading through snow. (I've been in Nepal trekking in summer- July- and its been -20C at 5400m in a snowstorm.)

So one option is to go all in on a stiff, B3 boot like the Scarpa Phantom or La Sportiva G2. 

Howver, although they are ok comfy and a reasonable weight, they are both major overkill for just trekking, and I'm not at all sure how they'd feel after walking in them for multiple days straight on hard terrain. 

In the Alps a lot of folk have been experimenting with a pair of stiff approach shoes for the hard, leg-pounding terrain, whilst carrying a stiffer winter boot that can be whipped out when conditions become more demanding. 

I've actually been experimenting with the La Sportiva Aequilibrium ST GTX as a winter boot and have been super impressed with these. They are comfier and lighter than the Phantom or G3 and have kept my feet toasty down to -10C and in heavy snow. Anything colder, then a full gaiter would be recommended. 

John C

Damo 20 Jul 2023

It really depends a lot exactly where you're going, when (Dec & March are quite different) and whether you're spending  time up around 5000m or just topping out at that level on a pass or something. Staying in lodges with fires and beds is quite different to multiple nights camping in tents.

Many decent trekking boots (not trainers or approach shoes) would be fine, any mountaineering boots probably uncomfortable overkill, but if you're truly concerned about both weight and warmth then there are (extra) insulated trekking boots available, such as: https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/men/shoes/winter-shoes.html

Maximusf 13 Aug 2023

I've not been to the Himalayas but I've done plenty of colder stuff in the UK, something that shouldn't be underestimated is the effect multiple days out can have on your mental and physical state. -12 in trango cubes was fine for a day and multiple minus 6 days  in a tent felt cold in full leather b3s. people have suggested a 2 boot solution I would definitely look into winter trail running shoes with a full gaiter (scarpa ribelle kalibra G and la sportiva do a verison) and a pair of mountaineering boots for if crampons are required. But take this with a pinch of salt as I've never been.

jonbarford 14 Aug 2023

As others have said, it depends on a couple of things:-
1. When you are going? (Winter requires a few more considerations)

2. Are you going to a peak or going over a pass. 

---

1. If you are going in Winter it's probably worth taking something a bit more sturdy, though if you are doing a circuit like Annapurna/Manaslu then anything more than B1s would be overkill, and definitely worth taking some spikes. If you are going in Autumn/Spring then you will be fine with most boots with a bit of ankle support. I went over Thorung La, 5,400m in winter, in some fairly casual hiking boots and while I wouldn't recommend it, it was okay.

2. If you are going to a snowy peak then I can't really talk on it too much but I'd probably say something around B2 that can take a crampon would be good depending on technicality. If you are going over a pass, depending on the season, I'd be really tempted to take something that maximised comfort but could take some spikes just incase. I'd be really tempted to take something like the Sportiva TX's because the amount of time you are going to be on snow/ice is probably like 10 hours on a 2-3 week trek.

Enjoy the Himalayas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...