Navigation Book Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I gave myself a navigational scare last week in bad visibility in the Fisherfield Forest. This was mainly down to ordinary stupidity followed by unnecessary panic, but it wouldn’t hurt to brush up my navigational skills. I’d like to buy a book on U.K. mountain navigation. I know the basics but I’d be especially interested in poor visibility techniques. Any recommendations please? I’m easily put off by bad diagrams, poor proofreading, funny cartoons and unnecessary filler. 

G. Tiger, Esq. 31 May 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Mike Raine's latest book. Mountain leader, had s.an an section on navigation, far better than the mltb recommended texts 

GTE

In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Thanks. I would never have realised that it has a section on navigation, based on his blurb: https://www.mikeraine.co.uk/product-page/the-mountain-leader-a-practical-ma...

Tringa 31 May 2023

Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff

Dave

In reply to Tringa:

> Mountain Navigation by Peter Cliff

I looked it up on Amazon, only to find that Amazon says I bought a copy in 2015. We’ve got piles of books everywhere and, ironically, I can’t find it. I might get into my survival bag and try again in the daylight  

Post edited at 23:24
 JohnDexter 01 Jun 2023

I second Mountain Navigation but it's out of print. An excellent alternative is Collin's Ultimate Navigation Manual by Lyle Brotherton.

In reply to JohnDexter:

Thanks. Couldn’t find my copy of Mountain Navigation so ordered the Brotherton one.
Whilst searching my house I did find all sorts of junk such as “Modern Snow and Ice Techniques”, published in 1980, which goes well with the Mountain Technology axe of the same era that I haven’t got round to getting rid of either. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...