Abseil rope length UK (Cornwall, Pembroke, north Wales)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 10 Apr 2023

Looking for a new ab rope and was thinking 60m should be plenty for most UK abseils as it can do longer ones but also leaves a bit for rigging in Pembroke.

What does UKC generally have as an abseil rope length?

CantClimbTom 10 Apr 2023
In reply to dinodinosaur:

It depends on whether you and you climbing partners are comfortable with passing a knot on freehanging (worst case) abseil/jumar. If you are.. a 60m covers a lot and is a common length to buy.

(Definitely don't make your first few knot passes in anger, practice in safety as many times as needed)

scott titt 10 Apr 2023

I've only ever needed more than 50m once in 50 years (for Skeleton Ridge)

Cheese Monkey 10 Apr 2023

Any more than 50m is a waste 99% of the time. For the rest of the time borrow a long one or join two.

spenser 10 Apr 2023

I have a 70m one which gives you a bit spare for getting down to Castell Helen. It's a lot bigger than anything I have needed in Pembroke or Cornwall.

I did use a 100m ab line on Lundy, but I was roundly fed up of carrying the thing after 4 or 5 days and it's only necessary for a couple of crags.

olddirtydoggy 10 Apr 2023

We use an old, cheap, thick 60m we used to use for indoor climbing. We use the better quality ropes for the actual climbing if we are leaving the ab rope in situ. If we're pulling the rope down then generally a pair of 60m halves as they cover everything.

I use an extra bit of static, can't remember if it's 15 or 20m, in places where I'll be equalising stakes or setting up miles away from the edge. Makes the most of the ab line and doesn't get carried if I don't need it.

In reply to scott titt:

I've needed more than 50m twice in the last few years. Mewsford and Mousetrap. 

Babika 11 Apr 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I used 60m on the Old Man of Stoer but otherwise 50m has been fine everywhere.

LucaC 11 Apr 2023

60m is ample for most of the obvious sea cliff venues. 

Anything requiring a significantly longer rope eg. Mousetrap/Supercharger/Prophercy of Drowning will be clearly indicated in the guidebook. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...