Best place for Viaferrata

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nicholaus 11 Jul 2022
Thread moved from REMOVED to Rocktalk

We have a spare week at the start of August so fancy a trip to the Alps. We have been to Cortina before and done some of the grade 3 to 5 routes and loved it. Is there anywhere else in the Alps though with a reasonable variety of Via Ferrata in a relatively compact area to rival Cortina as ideally we'd like to try somewhere different. Thanks.

Toerag 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Nicholaus:

How far from Cortina did you get?

Fruit 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Nicholaus:

There are lots of sporting via ferattas around Briancon

Martin Bennett 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Nicholaus:

Other towns in The Dolomites perhaps - we've had a great via ferrata week based in Arabba, for instance. Or The Brenta Dolomites? The Austrian Tyrol or Kaisergebirge mountains are the other most obvious suggestion.

OP Nicholaus 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Toerag:

We got as far as the Trincee near Arraba.

Chris Haslam 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Nicholaus:

We've done separate trips to Cortina and Corvara and probably preferred the routes around Corvara, but it seems like you may have done them already. 

Had a nice week in Riva del Garda which is more touristy, did 3 or 4 VF and a bit of relaxation, ice cream etc. 

+1 for Briancon, some great 'sports' style routes which are shorter and strenuous. Also lovely area for hiking and other outdoor adventures. 

In reply to Nicholaus:

I have made a free app guide to the Via Ferrata around Briançon. will give you a good idea of the options there. 

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skiroute16.viaferrata.ecr...

Apple - https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/écrins-briançon-via-ferrata/id1...

Or they are on my website - https://www.ecrinscollective.com

Let me now if you want any advice about routes or the area

Cheers

Post edited at 16:41
 Toerag 11 Jul 2022
In reply to Nicholaus:

> We got as far as the Trincee near Arraba.

In that case there's more to do in the Sella massif and Rosengarten area to the west. The Brenta would be worth a shot, Arco area as Chris suggests will be probably be brutally hot in August, it was bad enough in the 1st week of September when I went. It is, however only 2hours drive from the Brenta, so if the weather's bad up high you could go down to Arco.  As always, the klettersteig section of Bergsteigen.com is probably the best online resource for VFs.

OP Nicholaus 12 Jul 2022
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks, that's really useful.  Liking the idea of Briancon.  Not so far to drive as the Dolomites either.

CantClimbTom 12 Jul 2022
In reply to Nicholaus:

Not exactly via ferrata and not the best, but I notice you climbing in N Wales and for humour as much as anything wanted to ask if you've sampled the Dinorwig "via ferrata" Snakes and ladders (and tunnels). If not you should.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...