Biking in Hoddesdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NP 18 Jun 2022

I'm travelling down to Hoddesdon for several weeks work, and am thinking of taking a bike for days off/evenings etc. 

Does anyone know the area well, and can help me decide whether to bring the road or mountain bike? And suggestions for areas/trails? 

Cheers

CantClimbTom 18 Jun 2022
In reply to NP:

Hoddesdon as in Hertfordshire?

Canal towpaths! Or to be more pedantic river navigation towpaths (Stort and Lea) also consider a trip to the Royal Gunpowder Mills including the tractor/trailer tour of the far site (if that's running) while in area, whitewater rafting centre also? both South of Hoddesdon by Waltham Abbey. Fishers Green bird hide. So tyres for gravel.

Road cycling potential also, going North E, maybe up to Stansted Mount Fitchet to Thaxted to Saffron Walden and back via Newport and Stansted Mount Fitchet, Audley End is a country house near Saffron Walden if you like that sort of thing which is on that loop. (Edit: it's not all flat countryside!)

Enjoy!

Post edited at 15:12
 Monk 18 Jun 2022
In reply to NP:

It's pretty flat (rolling, not fen-like) around there. Broxbourne woods used to be the place to go on  a mountain bike, but not sure what the access is like at the moment (I left the area about 20 years ago and I heard rumours that it had been limited but didn't investigate further). There's also Epping Forest, which is meant to be nice (but still on the flat side). The road riding is probably better. There are a lot of tranquil lanes (and good pubs) around there. Head outwards in any direction that isn't London and explore. I don't think you'll be disappointed. 

Post edited at 19:26
 mondite 20 Jun 2022
In reply to NP:

Its mixed and for mountain biking broken up. For both road and mountain bike the area between Hertford, Hatfield, Potters Bar and Waltham Cross isnt bad. Surprisingly hilly in bits.

There was the wiggle events held in that area and you might be able to get a gpx trail from there.

OP NP 04 Jul 2022
In reply to NP:

Thanks so much guys for the detailed replies! I've sadly (or fortunately depending how you look at it) have been super busy at work, but did manage to get out on the road bike the other night across to Ware. Looking forward to getting out a bit more hopefully for some longer rides.

Looks like there are a fair few mountain bikers about in Broxbourne Woods as @Monk says too, maybe one to consider for future trips  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...