The disappointment of Easter eggs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dread-i 19 Apr 2022

When I was younger, Easter eggs were exciting. You got one, then cracked it open to find more wonderous goodies inside. Also, the chocolate was thicker in some places, than others.

Modern Easter eggs are a standard egg, with a little plastic bag of treats tucked away in the box. The uniform thickness, reduces the pleasure of finding a thicker bit of shell. I understand why they do it. Its cheaper to make. But I think a little bit of joy has been stolen in the process.

Dont get me started on the ones that deem a plastic shell is required, in addition to the box and tin foil.

Ridge 19 Apr 2022
In reply to dread-i:

Think yourself lucky. A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, is a real chocaholic.

She used to remove the rear half of the egg for herself, then carefully fold the foil down inside the back of the remaining shell.

Whenever the kids complained and pointed to the pictures on the box, she would tell them about the evils of advertising, and how unscrupulous manufacturers always made things look more impressive on the box than the reality inside.

She got away with it for years.

mondite 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Ridge:

> She got away with it for years.

That is awesome.

At least Kinder surprise have lived up their name this year. Every bite a chance of salmonella.

BusyLizzie 19 Apr 2022
In reply to dread-i:

I liked those thicker bits of shell. That was after I got over the disappointment of realising that Easter eggs are hollow; a great sadness.

ScraggyGoat 19 Apr 2022
In reply to dread-i:

Buy an Easter egg mould and make your own, if feeling energetic and making for yourself you can make alcoholic truffles to go inside….or put in a couple of whiskey miniatures!

Tom Valentine 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Ridge:

....sounds a bit like " asking for a friend" to me........

Dax H 19 Apr 2022
In reply to dread-i:

100% correct. I miss the days of the sweets being inside the eggs, if I want a sweet in a wrapper I will just buy one off the shelf thank you.

I had forgotten about the inconsistencies in the eggs, getting a thick bit was always a bonus.

On that note have you even bitten in to a kit kat and sound it to be solid chocolate with no wafer. I got one about 20 years ago and remember it like yesterday. 

Ridge 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> ....sounds a bit like " asking for a friend" to me........

I don't have kids, so not guilty. It was a stroke of twisted genius on her part, which I am in awe of.

Kevster 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Ridge:

Do you also tell the kids that the music on the ice cream can means they've run out of ice cream?

Lol. 

We're still on Xmas chocolate. Easter always comes too soon. 

Hooo 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Kevster:

> Do you also tell the kids that the music on the ice cream can means they've run out of ice cream?

I've always done this with my daughter. I don't think she ever fell for it.

I'm still massively disappointed with Easter eggs where the sweets are in a separate packet and not in the egg. Does anyone know why they do this nowadays?

wintertree 19 Apr 2022
In reply to dread-i:

It does however decrease the guilt of eating an egg in one sitting…. If only condensed milk tins had shrunk correspondingly, I would have a guilt free life.

Babika 19 Apr 2022
In reply to dread-i:

I must be lucky. 

I was given a Lindt egg and there's definitely some thick and not-so-thick chocolate. Very delicious

Michael Hood 19 Apr 2022
In reply to Hooo:

> I'm still massively disappointed with Easter eggs where the sweets are in a separate packet and not in the egg. Does anyone know why they do this nowadays?

I agree with your sentiment, presumably it's all down to the £££ - cheaper to do and no problem to still sell the stuff to a generally undiscerning public.

In reply to Dax H:

> On that note have you even bitten in to a kit kat and sound it to be solid chocolate with no wafer. I got one about 20 years ago and remember it like yesterday. 

I had one of those but didn't like the chocolate on Kit Kat's that much so it was a bit of a disappointment.

petemeads 20 Apr 2022
In reply to Babika:

I love Lindt 85% chocolate, even 70% dark seems too sweet to me nowadays, but this year MrsPete did loads of online research and found Chococo eggs with 85% Madagascan chocolate which contain roasted cocoa beans as the treat. The chocolate is laminated in 3 layers, you get the thicker bits but they crumble easily rather than break your teeth! Best egg ever, very expensive I expect...

Michael Hood 20 Apr 2022
In reply to petemeads:

> which contain roasted cocoa beans as the treat. 

Bit of a caffeine buzz there I suspect, not for just before bedtime.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...