How good is the WiFi in the Aiguille du Midi café?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oaty 16 Feb 2022

Bit a funny one, I've got a 10 day winter climbing trip to Cham planned for early March, and want to spend a couple of days acclimatising before tackling some routes on the Tacul.

I'd normally do a couple of easy routes (cosmiques or something), but I have some work commitments the first 2 days I can't get out of ( I work remotely though) - anyone know how feasible will it be for me to take my laptop up and work from the cafe in the midi top station.  Anyone know if the wifi and/or 4g reception is good enough for zoom calls? Will I be kicked out by a waiter for hogging a table all day (fair enough really)? 

Have been in there plenty of times, but funnily enough haven't had a zoom call from there... and can't remember how good the internet is!

jcw 17 Feb 2022
In reply to oaty:

I've just checked with someone who works in the hut: Yes. better than in the Valley [it needs to be]

tehmarks 17 Feb 2022
In reply to oaty:

One can only assume that the couple of dislikes are from people who aren't happy with the view from their own offices?

ExiledScot 17 Feb 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

> One can only assume that the couple of dislikes are from people who aren't happy with the view from their own offices?

It's the background you really don't want to distort on a call, everyone would think it's fake. 

smithg 18 Feb 2022
In reply to oaty:

I don't think the waiter will kick you out if you're paying 69 Euro a day to be there.

Can you claim it as business expenses?

yorkshireman 18 Feb 2022
In reply to tehmarks:

> One can only assume that the couple of dislikes are from people who aren't happy with the view from their own offices?

I'm all up for it - this has been the view from my home office window for the last 2 years - https://photos.app.goo.gl/vXazQFvjpNJkUwe6A

I make sure you can't see it on my video calls and I try to be sensitive to colleagues who aren't lucky enough to be in a similar location.

I'll be going into the London office in two weeks for the first time in two years for a team meeting. If you had asked me three years ago if I was looking forward to yet another business trip I would have thought you were joking but I'm quite looking forward to a few days of hussle and bussle and everything not closing at 7pm.

wbo2 18 Feb 2022
In reply to smithg: Unless you've got an EU passport claiming it as expenses could be interesting

65 18 Feb 2022
In reply to yorkshireman:

> I'm all up for it - this has been the view from my home office window for the last 2 years - https://photos.app.goo.gl/vXazQFvjpNJkUwe6A

That's the nearest I've come to giving anyone a dislike. 

Slarti B 18 Feb 2022
In reply to 65:

I cracked and gave it a dislike out of pure envy!  

@Yorkshireman, Lovely view but ....   
Which part of Yorkshire is that?  

Post edited at 15:21
 yorkshireman 18 Feb 2022
In reply to Slarti B:

> Which part of Yorkshire is that?  

Signed up in 2005 - life has changed a bit since then

paulmck 18 Feb 2022
In reply to oaty:

Just be aware that if your laptop uses them, old style hard disks will need thicker air to operate in, but the newer SSD type will be fine.  A quick search suggests Seagate only rate their disks to 10,000 ft. (3,048m).  

Misha 19 Feb 2022
In reply to yorkshireman:

Permawinter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...