Louis Theroux's Forbidden America

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 14 Feb 2022

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014khc

In the first of three episodes Louis is on top form getting the America First leadership talking on film: racism, antisemitism, rape threats and other misogyny, and Christian religious extremism all front and centre. Their annual meeting had two congressmen involved (one current and one past).

ThunderCat 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Ah, is this on now?  Read the review but assumed it wouldn't be available to watch until this evening.  There's me lunch hour sorted...

Cobra_Head 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

I couldn't watch it, I know I should make the effort, but I had about 10 minutes of some dickhead with a baseball cap and sunglasses, who sang about gays, and had to turn over.

What a f*cking world we live in!

robert-hutton 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Found it difficult watching, as not sure if you about giving a platform for these minority views, I did find Louis quite poor and they filled his silence with their doctrine.

jezb1 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Just for interest: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60067284

Louis talking about the series and giving extremism air time.

In reply to Offwidth:

> In the first of three episodes Louis is on top form getting the America First leadership talking on film: racism, antisemitism, rape threats and other misogyny, and Christian religious extremism all front and centre. Their annual meeting had two congressmen involved (one current and one past).

The sad thing is it doesn't sound like anything we didn't already know.

OP Offwidth 14 Feb 2022
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

We... if you mean most here on the political forums on UKC...for sure. I don't think most in the UK are at all clued up on how mad things are on the fringes of US social media content extremism.

Maggot 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

... or life in general.

Seeing the UK PM and hearing all the bullshit it and its cronies come out with all the time on TV makes me feel angry and depressed. I just don't need it, so I now try and avoid anything political. Avoid any news and you can quite happily live in your own little world where your biggest grief is the price of stuff.

ALF_BELF 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Shocked at how thin skinned these edgelords are when faced with some fairly basic questioning. They seem to pride themselves on saying it how it is but crumble when faced with any sort of criticism. Also, quote of the show from that moustache guy.

"Get out of my house"

"I'm not in your house"

OP Offwidth 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Maggot:

You don't seem to be doing very well as I often enjoy your posts

ThunderCat 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

15 minutes in. Terrifying and depressing in equal measures. 

elliot.baker 15 Feb 2022
In reply to robert-hutton:

I thought Louis was good in it - and I agree with one of the reviews that said he is "more forceful than normal", because he was straight-up judging them (as being bad) to their faces, which I thought was good.

Agree it's a very difficult watch, I think the men in it are infantile in their humour and basically have no back-bone to stand up and admit how horrible they're supposedly "ironic jokes" are.

It also struck me that LT has the difficult job of having to constantly walk the tight-rope of luring them in as if he's really interested to hear their views, versus manipulating them into saying/admitting how abhorrent they are, and the example of where he gets kicked out of the guy's house (garden!) is one where he either didn't judge it quite right (so couldn't have an extended conversation with the guy), or he knew that pushing him on that would result in an outburst, which is telling enough in itself.

Denning76 15 Feb 2022
In reply to ALF_BELF:

It goes to show how much of an echo chamber these kids have created for themselves if they cannot even deal with the presentation of facts or their own words to them, let alone criticism.

Ridge 15 Feb 2022
In reply to ALF_BELF:

> Shocked at how thin skinned these edgelords are when faced with some fairly basic questioning. They seem to pride themselves on saying it how it is but crumble when faced with any sort of criticism. Also, quote of the show from that moustache guy.

> "Get out of my house"

> "I'm not in your house"

I have to say that moustache guy was someone I'd never get tired of repeatedly punching in the face.

Ger_the_gog 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

I saw this and couldn't help wondering: how did America end up producing so many damaged, hateful people? Mind you, I don't think society here in the UK is too far behind. 

Where's all the love gone?

neilh 17 Feb 2022
In reply to Ger_the_gog:

Was it ever there in the first place?

China is apparently far worse for conspiracy theories..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...