Midges on Dartmoor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JB 12 Aug 2021

Are there midges on Dartmoor? Heading there this weekend and looking to wild camp. 

I grew up in Devon and spent loads of time on Dartmoor but that was years ago and can't recall if midges are a problem in summer. I now live in Ireland so have my full 'midge kit' ready to deploy if necessary...

apwebber 12 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

Yes bring the midge kit! They tend to be the little floaty ones but still annoying as hell if you're camping near water. There can also be horse flies...

OP JB 12 Aug 2021
In reply to apwebber:

urrgghhh - thanks!

will dig out the head nets plus other paraphernalia...

Dan Arkle 12 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

Although overall, Dartmoor is far less midgey than most other upland areas.

Sean Kelly 12 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

Perfect midge weather at the moment, steady drizzle...

OP JB 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Here's hoping for a breeze over the weekend

Bobling 12 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

One trip with a mate we walked all morning with the intention of setting up camp by a nice stream in a valley.  Sat down and took a breather for a few minutes and got midged to hell so relocated to a Tor where the breeze took care of them.  Have fun!

apwebber 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

You're right, now I come to think of it I can remember several camps where I wasn't bothered at all. Luck of the draw I guess.

BuzyG 12 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

Plenty of midge free spots on Dartmoor.  Just fill up and move up away from the steams and ferns before you set camp.  They don't bite anyway. But yes, they do swarm, if you settle some place they like.

Lankyman 12 Aug 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

> They don't bite anyway. But yes, they do swarm, if you settle some place they like.

Soft southern midges!

In reply to JB:

And the horseflies, oh my the horseflies... 

Wainers44 12 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

Plenty around here my luver,  bring the repellant! ....and they do bite.

Be sneaky,  camp somewhere facing SW, or in valley running sw to ne. Look carefully and there are quite a few leats around which are well upslope,  so pick up the breeze but save having to lug water around.

Worst places are east side, especially near the forest....such as Teignhead Farm....midge capital of the moor!!

BuzyG 12 Aug 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

> Plenty around here my luver,  bring the repellant! ....and they do bite.

You must taste better than I do, to a midge a least.

OP JB 15 Aug 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

So we camped last night.. quite high so very windy at dusk but plenty of midges gathering inside the flysheet. Can imagine it would have been bad on a still night. Thanks to everyone who contributed...

BuzyG 17 Aug 2021
In reply to JB:

Indeed I was out walking on the moor until after dark and met a few.   Yes there are some midges up there this time of year, but nothing compared to the infamous Scottish midges around say, Fort William. I have been nibbled alive in my sleep up in the NW highlands.  Completely different beastie if you ask me. 

Did you wake up cover in bites?

Post edited at 10:40
OP JB 17 Aug 2021
In reply to BuzyG:

No midge bites but picked up a couple of tick bites alas.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...