Rucsac identification please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ohsmeg 08 Aug 2021

Can anyone tell me what make my rucsac is? I’ve had it 10+ years and bought it second hand at a charity sale. It has no labels of any kind and the only wording on the body of the sac itself is ‘Award Series A55’, which is embroidered on the lid.  

I assume the 55 refers to capacity because that’s about the size it looks. It’s bright red, it’s very well made, (it’s been through a lot with me and shows no real wear). 

It has an adjustable back length, padded back with cut out for venting, lumbar pad, padded hip belt, padded shoulder straps, attached zipped side pockets (large bottle sized), a semi-circular zip at the bottom for access to the bottom of the sac and an inner zipable flap to separate the main compartment into two compartments if required, large snow collar at the top of the main sac, useful if you want to cram more stuff in, a large lid with an external lid pocket. Very sturdy buckles. Crampon patches on the lid. It also has a small pocket near the lid zip which housed a rain cover but I’ve disposed of that because I don’t use it. All 5 zips have large strong metal pulls with pull tags attached. That’s about it!

I’d like to know what make it is as I’m simply curious that such a well-made item does not have a manufacturer’s name plastered on it! It’s supremely comfortable, so whoever made it, thank you. 

If anyone can throw any light on this, I’ll be very grateful.

Post edited at 17:19
In reply to ohsmeg:

One of these?
Vango were the supplier of D of E branded rucksack

https://www.dofe.org/shopping/expedition-kit/rucksacks-and-packing/

In reply to ohsmeg:

Are you sure it’s A55 and not ASS? Try Googling Big Red Ass.

In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

DofE 'Award Series' kit rings a bell. Can't remember who made it, but if from a charity shop, more than ten years ago, could be Karrimor, or Vango as you say. DofE participant stuff often ends up in charity shops quite soon... 55l would be a good size for DofE (IMHO...)

Have asked on the FB DofE Leaders group...

ps. have you checked in all the pockets? There's usually a QA label somewhere...

Post edited at 20:25
OP ohsmeg 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

That’s a possibility, certainly. Thank you for your reply.

OP ohsmeg 08 Aug 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thank you for your reply. I’ll check the pockets again and every seam. Thanks for asking on the DoE leaders Facebook group. 

OP ohsmeg 08 Aug 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Thank you for your suggestion. I’ve searched as you suggested but the only results were - shall we say - not what I was looking for. I think it’s definitely A55 but perhaps I’m mis-reading it.

Post edited at 20:58
In reply to ohsmeg:

Replies already on the FB group. Confirm that the 'Award Series' was a range of products for the DofE Award Scheme. Going back to 1989. Lots of red and indigo blue (DofE 'corporate colours' at the time) that trigger memories of such things in the Cotswold catalogue. No-one has identified a rucksack manufacturer yet. Vango and Phoenix suggested for the tents. I'm wondering about Berghaus now. But their buckles would have had a little 'B' on them.

In reply to ohsmeg:

Dug out some old catalogues. YHA shops has their own brand 'Mountaincraft Explorer 55' which looks like your description, barring the waterproof cover.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...