Strange New Team GB Sponsor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrteale 30 Mar 2019

Can someone explain to me the new Team GB sponsor Duco? 

Having never heard of them I decided to look at their website https://ducolife.com/ and facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DucoLife/

They don't appear to actually make anything and other than a load of corporate waffle and a few photos on their website, there's nothing there. 

The Facebook page is stranger still with a few cheesy videos with a highly suspect amount of 'likes'. One of their photos has over 3.4k likes and 19 comments ,all from accounts with Indian/Pakistani sounding names exclaiming 'nice'. - This seems to be a really blatant exercise in purchasing Facebook 'likes' in order to try and grow a brand.

My question is, why are Team GB using these guys as sponsors when they don't appear to make any outdoor kit, let alone climbing gear?

The last team sponsor was Berghaus which makes sense, surely some of the better known, reputable outdoor brands would have been keen to have their logos on the kit that is presumably going to the Olympics next year?

I'm not massively into the indoor competition world and it's not my intention to just be slagging off the Duco guys whoever they are but it's just all a little odd and the Facebook page numbers are just shady as shit.

Hopefully someone can shed some light?

Climber climb 30 Mar 2019
In reply to mrteale:

At one point. I heard it was supposed to be montane 

toad 30 Mar 2019
In reply to mrteale:

Are you saying they are a bit lax?

ripper 30 Mar 2019
In reply to toad:

> Are you saying they are a bit lax?

That probably went over many people's heads. Or under their bums.

ned_85 30 Mar 2019
In reply to mrteale:

I’d like to say I am in no way affiliated with Duco whatsoever, but I found this post interesting and so just had a little deeper look at some easy fairly to access online information.

So, to answer your first question, Duco appears to a brand new company setup by a 27 year old entrepreneur (and his friend), who has a nice array of business awards and does a bit of motivational speaking, including a tedx. I’d note that the business seems similar to the Rapha model, albeit I know very little about Rapha really, and not that much about cycling in general. For those that didn’t check the link; Duco don’t appear to make anything yet but the focus seems only on the branded clothing, with a good looking website, an ethical approach and a ‘members’ club for focussed marketing.

In response to your second question, which can only be based on my opinion as I have no input in the GB climbing team either, I assume said entrepreneur spotted an opportunity and offered the right amount of money. In my mind the question to consider is what is the right amount of money, and why do established brands not see the value in that at this time? The Olympics will put a spotlight on climbing like never before, but nobody knows the impact of that and I guess established brands won’t take the risk.

Again for full disclosure, I was involved with a climbing brand, I am no longer involved but their success remains of great interest to me and I made many great friends whilst with the company and working within the industry. In light of this my viewpoint is somewhat skewed but I would raise the issue of profitability and that if you look at a climbing branded hoodie, you’ll pay about £45 for the most basic, then look at an entry level harness, you’ll pay maybe £50 (think of all the development, testing, materials, sizing, stitching, sewing, advertising, stockholding, in store promotion... and I should also mention that it's somewhat imperative for staying alive whilst climbing!). My point being; if this entrepreneur can set up a clothing brand, with tiny development costs, huge margins on the products, direct sales via ‘club access’ and is willing to risk capital in gaining (possibly enormous) exposure via the climbing team and the Olympics then it is a sign of where opportunities lie within the industry in some ways.

So I guess to answer your third question; established brands just cannot take the risk of investing in the Olympics when they already have stretched annual marketing budgets and tight margins. Think of all the little events these brands become involved in, the advertising on websites and other publications, discounts to retailers (which they invariably pass on to customers, in fairness), the underpaid athletes, free t-shirts. Sorry, I rant.

Hopefully all that gibberish answered your fourth question, at least in part, or will invoke further responses from others. In conclusion, I have nothing against Ducolife, a person taking this kind of venture is in many ways great to see. I would not expect them to get many sales from the regular UKC visitors, nor would they, I expect. But, in my opinion, what the people who read this should do is try and support the established brands, and shops, in the UK as much as possible. And hopefully these brands will also benefit from the increased exposure the Olympics, and competition climbing in general, so that they can continue to keep producing incredible gear and keep us climbing.

Sorry, that was quite long, and please don’t expect such lengthy responses, if (m)any, in future

P.s. I had to Google dulcolax. Touché on the reference, although I agree with ripper that it is likely to be a niche knowledge area!

Post edited at 12:12
 thepodge 30 Mar 2019
In reply to mrteale:

In this day and age you don't need to sell anything to make money, you just need to convince investors.

Post edited at 12:54
 Max factor 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ned_85:

If they are hoping to do a Rapha on the climbing market they'll be sorely disappointed by how tight the majority of climbers are. One of the things I like about climbing it is that it is pretty egalitarian; basic kit does the job and there isn't really an advantage to be had for spending £££ on your kit.  Unlike cycling. 

ned_85 30 Mar 2019
In reply to thepodge:

The Rocky Road case in an interesting comparison. I had not considered investment without a focus on product sales, and this appears a very valid argument against a number of points I made. I am unsure if it draws a direct parallel to this case, I expect time would tell having read the following article - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mountain-bike-world-cup-sponsorship-in-ques...

And my apologies if Rapha is not a fair comparison. My knowledge of their history and start up is very limited, likewise the my knowledge of the level of development of their products. 

thepodge 30 Mar 2019
In reply to ned_85:

I edited out my rocky road bit as I couldn't remember the exact details.

There are lots of tech brands that are yet to turn a profit but have made people exceptionally rich and are considered to be worth a lot of money... Facebook and Uber spring to mind.

I don't know the history of Rapha but the story of Vulpine is an interesting read.

In reply to Max factor:

> If they are hoping to do a Rapha on the climbing market they'll be sorely disappointed by how tight the majority of climbers are.

I am unsure about that, I see loads of tight wads in arcteryx harnesses and la sportivo clothes both of which are reassuringly expensive. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...