Competitions on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 18 Feb 2019

Right, I guess this one will get me into trouble.

Was having a look at the competitions being run on UK, saw that the Jottnar one had been won - a whopping prize of Jöttnar Winter Climbing Clothing Package Worth £1,255.

This competition was dated 21st January 2019, not sure if that was the start or end of the competition.

It was one, by a new user, whose date of joining this site is given as 2nd Feb 19.

What a lucky lucky individual!

galpinos 18 Feb 2019
In reply to subtle:

I'm not sure what your implication is but I've won a UKC competition, not £1200 of Jottnar stuff but it was over £600 of Arc'teryx stuff. I wore one of the jackets this morning.

Hat Dude 18 Feb 2019
In reply to subtle:

I thought that the unwritten rule for winning a competition was that you never had to post on forums

Galapinos has just disproved that though

In reply to subtle:

As above, not quite sure what you are suggesting.

A lot of people are tempted to register for UKC because of our competitions. It is one method we deliberately use to persuade people to register so that we can boost our readership which in turn helps support the site.

The fact that a new user has one just shows that the competitions are open to everyone who wishes to enter. If you check the other winners on the Comps page https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/competitions/ I think you will find that we have had winners with a full range of registration dates and general site activity. 

Alan

kevin stephens 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

There’s also a whole community dedicated to sharing information entering and winning competitions in subjects irrelevant or alien to the competitors, these people maximise their chances by entering hundreds of competitions a week and profit by selling winnings on the internet 

Pedro50 18 Feb 2019
In reply to kevin stephens:

Good point. Why not make the questions a bit more grown up. Fyi I have won twice in 14 years 

Mike P 18 Feb 2019
In reply to subtle:

It's clear that UKC competitions are obviously rigged

I am what is colloquially known as a "F** B*******.". I always enter all the competitions in a Friday afternoon break at work and I'd never won any of the shiny new kit I lusted after but didn't need. Then I won!!!!

What did I win? An Edilrid OHM. Could have been made for me. Had no idea it existed. Wonderful bit of kit for blokes like me.

Clearly the omnipotent UKC Gods allocate wins to those that they know need them. Who says it's down to luck? Not me.

Thanks UKC, tell me what else I need. 

icnoble 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Mike P:

We have just started to use an Edelrid OHM as I am considerably heavier than my wife, its a great bit of kit.

Michael Hood 18 Feb 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

I have a fleece that I won some years ago that I regularly wear.

Didn't wear it for years because I was a bit too fat for it

It could still fit better though

balmybaldwin 18 Feb 2019
In reply to subtle:

All I ever won was a UKC T shirt - It's got holes in it now due to being worn too much

In reply to subtle:

I've won some Julbo photochromic sunglasses (the ones in my profile pic actually) and a Camp twist daisy + screwgate. One thing I always wonder though... does joining the newsletter of each company increase your chances of winning? 

Post edited at 02:42
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> I've won some Julbo photochromic sunglasses (the ones in my profile pic actually) and a Camp twist daisy + screwgate. One thing I always wonder though... does joining the newsletter of each company increase your chances of winning? 

No. UKC decide the winners from the correct answers at random. Everyone who enters has the same chance of winning.

The mailing lists are sent to the companies with the winner's names for them to use and deal with.

Alan

Lord_ash2000 19 Feb 2019
In reply to subtle:

I've won two over the years. Nothing expensive but it shows its possible. 

Derry 19 Feb 2019
In reply to subtle:

I've never won anything, but every time I see a new pair of ice axes up for grabs I think "c'mon, this time surely???" and alas, I'm still stuck with my crappy old pair, unable to justify spending that much money when really I can make do.

My girlfriend however entered one competition when the wideboyz were doing their crack school series, won a #1 friend, which now hangs proudly out of place among my BD camelots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...