Spaghetti Yeti

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
aultguish 02 Sep 2018

Morning folks,

Hoping to buy a Skoda Yeti in the next few weeks.

Decided on the 2.0 diesel 4x4 variant.

My question is to do with the manual gearbox versus the automatic in the snow.

I have plenty experience at driving in snow using a manual but absolutely none in the auto.

Grateful for your thoughts, hints, tips, pro's and cons.

Many thanks A.

I'll be out for the day, so won't be able to reply until this evening.

Ffat Boi 02 Sep 2018
In reply to aultguish:

I have plent of experience driving in snow using an auto but absolutly none in an manual

Or with a Yeti.

I've driven in Toyata granvia, Rav, volvo, jeep cherokee, subaru. All automatics.

Never any problems, all of them had a "winter" setting.

Mind you, I've only been on road with them, never off road.

Good tyres are more important for winter driving.

Run_Ross_Run 02 Sep 2018
In reply to aultguish:

With the haldex clutch used in the 4x4 I'd not worry too much about manual or auto in the snow. The system is so good you just put your foot down and the car will do the rest.

Might be worth looking if the model you are looking at has the off road button . That has a greater bearing on driving on loose surfaces as it controls rev/ throttle /braking etc (really good feature).

Whatever model you decide on it's an awesome car. Gutted I got rid of mine. 

Post edited at 18:35
In reply to aultguish:

I’ve not driven the yeti, but have driven cars with the DSG transmission for nearly twenty years now. I’m assuming that all Yeti autos are actually DSGs. Overall, they are excellent boxes and very very good in snow generally.

As with anything though, it depends!  I would say mainly on how skilled a driver you are in snow generally and specifically in knowing how to utilise a gearbox to it’s full in exceptionally difficult conditions, and the other main thing is the transmission software of the actual model your driving (DSGs are programmed to individual model so all vary a bit though have many similarities).

You will be aware that the DSG is really an automated manual box with twin clutches. It drives more like an manual than an full automatic so think of it that way when comparing what it can do. It has deceleration through the box for example - unless you have one that has a coasting mode programmed and on! - but differs from a manual, (apart from the more obvious!) in that it has to go up and down through all the gears which can be a limitation in certain extreme conditions.

An average motorist will do at least as well with a DSG in snow if not a lot better than a manual - I say the latter having got stuck in snow with a full auto, but never with an automated manual, nor a manual for that matter.

Pro: ultra quick and smooth gear changes, car matches gear to revs for both up and down shifts therefore less likely to loose it in extreme conditions. Less risk of wheel spin on changes unless too much throttle is used. Automated down change to decelerate are programmed on some models and this means less brakes usage, more control on throttle (but can be a con).

Cons: even with manual over ride control, you can’t change gears when the electronics do not agree*, and have to go through all the gears up and down. *For example you can’t start off in 2nd (unless your model actually has a specific winter mode program that ignores 1st gear starts), can’t change up before a min rev are reached as you can’t slip the clutches, some are programmed to do early down changes of gears to help deceleration without brake use but this makes it harder when revs are higher in low gear when you need to use the throttle for control (c/w low gear/high revs in a full manual and how it drives).

General point which may be relevant to your choice: The boxes are very expensive if they did go wrong, need expensive oil change maintenance usually every 40k miles (unless it is one of the newer ones with the dry plates which I believe is sealed for life), DIY maintenance of the box is not possible due to the complexity and methodology of changing oil.

Overall, DSGs are brilliant and not just in snow. A bonus is if they are connected to a 4x4 system then they will go far with minimal fuss especially with winter tyres on. That and another plus if hill descent was an option on your model, they would be very hard to beat for the majority of drivers. The hill descent btw automatically controls the revs and brakes using ABS for descending in slippery conditions to minimise slipping.

Tom Valentine 02 Sep 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

As to putting your foot down etc......I find that the Haldex system is better at detecting  linear slippage  than lateral.

aultguish 03 Sep 2018
In reply to aultguish:

Thank you all. Some excellent highly detailed  information to ponder over there and certainly putting my fears at ease.

Very much appreciated!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...