Rucksack for running...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 04 Dec 2016
My 18 year old lad is planning to go in the forces next year and I'm looking for a pack that he can use to run with.

I've looked at some running specific packs but most are fairly small and I was thinking about something about 30 litres. He's 5'10 medium build....
Any recommendations?
Thanks
 s.scott 04 Dec 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Don't bother. Runnung with weight is a great way to break yourself.

The forces give out a pt program to recruits prior to training designed specifically to there needs.
 DaveHK 04 Dec 2016
In reply to abr1966:

If its for single day running like most folks do and not some sort of army running with guns and stuff then 30l is way too big.

For long days running in the hills I use a bag that's about 10l.

If he really needs something bigger then look at the OMM classic 25 or 32.
 Bluebird 05 Dec 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Aarn rucksacks (Norwegian now living in New Zealand used to be the designer for Karrimor?)

Their Mountain Magic series are the best for running. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

JayPee630 05 Dec 2016
In reply to abr1966:

What does he want to put in it? Some water and a top, or weight?

If it's the later then don't. They will build him up to that in training gradually, and recommend people don't run with weight before they come due to likelihood of injury.

Follow the provided training program, don't start your own.
 Neil Williams 05 Dec 2016
In reply to Bluebird:

Aarn Tate? Was Vango (in their more premium days) wasn't he? He certainly designed the Vango Hurricane, a pretty high quality nylon tent in the early days of such things.
 nniff 05 Dec 2016
In reply to abr1966:

His knees will get enough battering as it is without starting early. Get him out running, across country and build up gradually. If he can run 7-10 miles on paths at a 9 minute mile pace without really stopping he'll have a really good start.
OP abr1966 05 Dec 2016
In reply to nniff:

....and others....

Thanks, I'm finding it hard not to give him fatherly and ex forces advice....I was old school!
 Billhook 07 Dec 2016
In reply to abr1966:

I too wouldn't bother about a running rucksack. They army will certainly not be using a running bag!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...